• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Both of my sons use these when not working. My understanding is they are super comfortable. I see no branding on who manufactured it.
    They were bought from Luke at Bluffton Gun and Pawn.
    20230806_212645.jpg
    20230806_212708.jpg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Just my 2 cents.
    If you are a right handed shooter and carry on your right side how are you going to press the mag release and retrieve your spare mag without having to put the pistol in your left hand grab the mag with your right hand move the pistol back to your right hand while holding the reload mag and then insert the reload with your left hand. Im assuming a reload is a high stress SHTF situation.
    No offense intended to anyone who chooses to use this method.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just my 2 cents.
    If you are a right handed shooter and carry on your right side how are you going to press the mag release and retrieve your spare mag without having to put the pistol in your left hand grab the mag with your right hand move the pistol back to your right hand while holding the reload mag and then insert the reload with your left hand. Im assuming a reload is a high stress SHTF situation.
    No offense intended to anyone who chooses to use this method.
    Sadly, most people dont test their gear/layouts under stress. Even the stress of a shot timer. Then again most either never shoot their guns after they buy them, or only go to a static range and see how many rounds they can put on paper. Even to the point that there are so many holes on that 1 free target that was included with the range time that they are not getting any good feedback any more.

And some, if they actually think to ask for a 2nd opinion on something they think is good, They dont handle defeat well. When their idea is shown to be flawed, instead of accepting that their idea wasnt sound, they get defensive and shut down instead of looking at the idea with fresh eyes and accepting the original idea wasnt a good one and doing it the better way instead.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    Sadly, most people dont test their gear/layouts under stress. Even the stress of a shot timer. Then again most either never shoot their guns after they buy them, or only go to a static range and see how many rounds they can put on paper. Even to the point that there are so many holes on that 1 free target that was included with the range time that they are not getting any good feedback any more.

And some, if they actually think to ask for a 2nd opinion on something they think is good, They dont handle defeat well. When their idea is shown to be flawed, instead of accepting that their idea wasnt sound, they get defensive and shut down instead of looking at the idea with fresh eyes and accepting the original idea wasnt a good one and doing it the better way instead.
    I never got why people continue to shoot at a target that has 97 holes in it.
    Buy a couple extras people. Heck bring some copy paper and a sharpie. Make your own

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I typically avoid such holsters. For anything other than appendix, it’s a slow, clumsy way of carrying a spare as noted above. And with appendix, I find “sidecar” holsters like the one shared by Creedmoor to be less comfortable than a separate holster/mag carrier combo, especially those that are solidly connected. I like spacing my holster and mag a little farther apart, and the sidecar isn’t often conducive to that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'm gonna be that guy today because I woke up feeling kind of froggy. The number of citizen self-defenders, who have needed a reload in a defensive gun use is near zero. As in, John Corriea of Active Self Protection has never seen it happen after watching some 20,000 defensive gun fight videos.

I personally don't carry a spare mag, but I'm also not saying anyone is wrong if they do. Better to have it and not need it and all that. The most likely scenario would be to top off after the gun fight, but you're not likely going to be reloading in the middle.of it.

So basically, it doesn't really matter where or how you carry your spare mag if you want to carry one at all.

And yeah, I know there is already a thread somewhere about whether you should carry a spare mag or not.

ETA: Apparently there are several such threads. Here are two of the more active ones.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm gonna be that guy today because I woke up feeling kind of froggy. The number of citizen self-defenders, who have needed a reload in a defensive gun use is near zero. As in, John Corriea of Active Self Protection has never seen it happen after watching some 20,000 defensive gun fight videos.

I personally don't carry a spare mag, but I'm also not saying anyone is wrong if they do. Better to have it and not need it and all that. The most likely scenario would be to top off after the gun fight, but you're not likely going to be reloading in the middle.of it.

So basically, it doesn't really matter where or how you carry your spare mag if you want to carry one at all.

And yeah, I know there is already a thread somewhere about whether you should carry a spare mag or not.

ETA: Apparently there are several such threads. Here are two of the more active ones.

Yep. 3x3x3 seems to be the rule. 3 shots in under 3 seconds within 3 yards. And even when there is some distance involved against a guy with an AR, you still dont need a 2nd mag. Ask Eli.

And yeah, pepper spray instead. A better use of your space.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Married holsters have some pretty specific problems that other traditional holsters do not have.

First and foremost - they're one-trick ponies. Meaning that they can usually only be worn in 1 specific location. Traditional holsters can be moved around quite a bit around the torso.

And maybe even more importantly - there are stresses imparted upon married holsters that can fatigue them at higher rates vs. traditional holsters. This is especially true with the more rigid designs - which is why we've seen a high uptick in holsters married with paracord, shock cord, and even goofy hinges. Unfortunately many of these ideas still don't address the twisting motion/s that bodies make. Sure, those things will address movement fore and aft like a door - but when human bodies move, it's a multi-axis movement.

Another consideration: They take up a ton of real estate.

Yet another consideration: According to folks smarter than I am, having holster clips far apart (say at each edge of a large married holster) is less secure than having your clip/s closer to the middle / center of gravity of said holster. This is especially true of the largely inadequate plastic clips that many holsters are shipped with. This one, though, can be mitigated with the purchase and installation of good spring-steel clips from Discreet Carry Concepts.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have an AIWB with the mag carrier but I have moved away to either a separate mag holder at times or more often that not, no extra magazine at all. On my frame, it just adds bulk and makes concealment more difficult. Same reason I moved away from WMLs to a pocket flashlight. I think for holsters, less is more and the more you can distribute the "extras", the easier it is to conceal.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Married holsters have some pretty specific problems that other traditional holsters do not have.

First and foremost - they're one-trick ponies. Meaning that they can usually only be worn in 1 specific location. Traditional holsters can be moved around quite a bit around the torso.

And maybe even more importantly - there are stresses imparted upon married holsters that can fatigue them at higher rates vs. traditional holsters. This is especially true with the more rigid designs - which is why we've seen a high uptick in holsters married with paracord, shock cord, and even goofy hinges. Unfortunately many of these ideas still don't address the twisting motion/s that bodies make. Sure, those things will address movement fore and aft like a door - but when human bodies move, it's a multi-axis movement.

Another consideration: They take up a ton of real estate.

Yet another consideration: According to folks smarter than I am, having holster clips far apart (say at each edge of a large married holster) is less secure than having your clip/s closer to the middle / center of gravity of said holster. This is especially true of the largely inadequate plastic clips that many holsters are shipped with. This one, though, can be mitigated with the purchase and installation of good spring-steel clips from Discreet Carry Concepts.
    I have zero skin in the game here, no appendix carry for me,.,.,

I've seen both of my sons wear these all day, driving cross country, sitting on a tractor, walking, while at work as a bug, and what I've never seen or heard about is them being uncomfortable or any printing like more other holsters have.
    The real estate thing, appendix carry is unused real estate to begin with.

Lots of holsters are "A One Trick Pony" ankle and shoulder for starters. And I dont know why you would think that a say, a set of belt clips that are 5" apart on a 6" wide holster would be less secure than a single or double clip 3" apart. One can pivot around and one can not.

Which one of these holsters is gonna be more secure?

thumbnail3333.jpg

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I carry a sidecar setup AIWB every day and find it as comfortable as a holster alone.. The "hinge" on mind is a heavy leather so it conforms to your movements.. I believe most agree that the mag is more likely to cause a stoppage that the pistol so having a spare isn't a bad idea..
    Again my thoughts but body shape tends to dictate what holster might be the best choice for each individual and I wouldn't think it's a good idea to shift your carry position day to day but that's just my take. Most importantly, what ever you use TRAIN with it.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I’ve carried like this for years, I also shoot about 3-4 times a month and the reload is no issue from appendix if you practice.

Honestly I prefer carrying with a spare mag over pistol alone, it’s honestly more comfortable for me. Seems more solid.

Trex arms side car and tier 1 concealed is what I use.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I’ve carried like this for years, I also shoot about 3-4 times a month and the reload is no issue from appendix if you practice.

Honestly I prefer carrying with a spare mag over pistol alone, it’s honestly more comfortable for me. Seems more solid.

Trex arms side car and tier 1 concealed is what I use.

I've come close to picking up a used one of the holsters like this in the classifieds. Never came to be. Hard for me to justify a throwing a hundred plus at a new holster, with a fair chance that won't work for me.

I can't carry appendix well. It's like the monkey/football thing. Still trying things though and one of these holster combos that spread out across the abbs may be the ticket?

For sure, I'd love the clip on aspect of this style holster for gunning up in the rare times that I'm not carrying or only carrying a pocket pistol.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I cannot appendix carry. Maybe if I lost the 40lbs I need to lose... but even then I didn't like the feel. I think those would be a great fit for that style. I've seen people wearing them at the 3 position like I normally carry and it just seems.... awkward. Maybe I'm wrong. reaching across the body to get your spare mag seems unnatural. 3 and 9, 3 for the gun 9 for the reload

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I've come close to picking up a used one of the holsters like this in the classifieds. Never came to be. Hard for me to justify a throwing a hundred plus at a new holster, with a fair chance that won't work for me.

I can't carry appendix well. It's like the monkey/football thing. Still trying things though and one of these holster combos that spread out across the abbs may be the ticket?

For sure, I'd love the clip on aspect of this style holster for gunning up in the rare times that I'm not carrying or only carrying a pocket pistol.
    I have to mess with the "depth" a little. once i got it figured out i prefer this to carrying just the gun with a similar holster.

Top Bottom