• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    From Clint, "I don't need a $1000 shotgun -- I need to know how to run the gun I've got."

Wise words for nearly every "which gun" thread posted.

cmstuard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    96   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    SW Indiana
    A Moss 500, Moss 590 or REM 870 will do the jobs it you want a pump. I personally won't use a auto for HD, but if you do, you need to spend more money or go with a Saiga. I've put a lot of round through a Saiga 410 and love that gun with a collapsible stock. They like oil and you have to run about 250 rounds through them to work well.

iwas1ncthr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    Anderson
    I bought the Rem870 Tac and bought a $25 tactical light from none other than Lowes. It was one of those "off brands" but advertised as a tactical light and I'll tell you what, for $25 it sure was a great buy. It goes from the typical white light or you can choose the red. It is LED and the white light is so bright that any intruder who is wondering around in the night, one half second look into this thing and the next light they will see will be that real bright one everyone talks about when your called home. The Rem870 is IMO hands down one of the best home defence shotguns for the $$$. Not only for the price but the reputation of the 870 is pretty hard to beat. Being a Marine I look at firearms very plane, my ideology is that if the USMC used it for any leangth of time then it's worth it's weight. Being that the Rem870 was one of the USMC's primary shotguns, they are also battle tested and proved.

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    I use a converted Saiga 12 for HD.

Picked up a stock S-12 for around $450 and did the conversion back to AK configuration myself for another $100.

Devastating weapon and very fun to shoot

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I may get laughed at for this as far as a HD shotgun. I have a police 870 tricked out ca 1980 SWAT style and a pretty cool Ithaca model 37 with 8 shot tube, parkerized finish, choate pistol grip stock, etc...

With that being said....My current HD shotgun is a Stoegerberger Coach gun 20 gauge with an elastic butt stock shell holder loaded up with number 3 buck and 00 buck. Not the most tacticool shotgun around but perfect for our home as my wife is comfortable with it as well. Any main HD weapon we have has to be comfortable for my wife. We are a team and the one attempted home invasion we had she handled herself well, talking on the phone with the police while covering the back door with her J frame Smith. She looked like one of Charlies Angels all in defense mode. She likes the coach gun so the coach gun it is.

birdslayer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Walkerton
    any shot gun will do... find one you are comfortable with as long as it runs.. I agreee Keep it simple and learn how to run it..( remember the french resistance fighting the germans? one of there primary weapons was the single,double shotgun) check out the link for clint smith... he also promotes K.I.S.S. simple gets it done. learn to be proficient. and any shotgun is devastating.

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    I got the Remington 870 tactical @ Midwest Gun Exchange last July, $300 bucks, put a pistol grip and rail mount on it with a red dot site. Hell Stevie Wonder couldn't miss with it! Total price 480 bucks. Go with a pump, that racking sound will scare anyone!

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I got a mossberg 500a for $249 and that included both an 18.5" and 28" barrel. This makes this my home defense gun along with my G23 as well as my main hunting gun.

Flashlight, flashlight, flashlight!
    I have a flashlight mount that mounts right under the magazine tube and i use a Surefire G2 light in it. The way the flashlight is made and is positioned on the gun allows me to use the little bit of play the shotgun has in its forend to activate the light by simply pushing the forend forward towards the tail cap.

this allows the quick short bursts of light that you would use in a home defense situation without me having to do any further modifications to the gun or flashlight.

Tandor said:
    Go with a pump, that racking sound will scare anyone!

:popcorn:

Colt.45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Thanks for your input everyone!! I have a few more questions that i would like to throw out there to be discussed. Which is better, a pump or a semi-auto? With that in mind what would be the best overall weapon for a SHTF scenario? Also, the seiga has a clip, is that a good thing or not? if your in a situation and only have 8 rounds doenst that limit you? Or, do you think the clip would be a hassle to keep track of and to load? Or do you think it would just be easier to load just the 8 rounds and go, so you wouldnt have to rely on magazines?

Thanks for your help and input!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Which is better, a pump or a semi-auto?

Which one do you have the most class hours with?

Dude, it's guns, the subjective is objective.

Also, the seiga has a clip, is that a good thing or not?

Saiga has a magazine.

Good thing? It depends. Have you seen a magazine fed weapon in shotgun class? How did it do?

How many Rolling Thunder drills have you shot with a Saiga?

As with revovlers the key to manipulation of the shotgun is loading. Once you get that down, the shotgun becomes easier to learn.

With that in mind what would be the best overall weapon for a SHTF scenario?

The shotgun is a specialized tool. It is awesome in a narrow envelope but I wouldn't depend on it as a utility infielder that can hit.

Or do you think it would just be easier to load just the 8 rounds and go, so you wouldnt have to rely on magazines?

If the shotgun is magazine feed, you have to rely on the magazine. That means carrying extra mags.

Colt, you may want to get to class, your questions will become answered.

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    This is a good thread..... I have been looking and it is good to hear comments on preferences. I have been leaning to a Moss 590..... but I like the Rem 870 too! To many choices....:dunno:

Top Bottom