• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    If you are looking to use video as a means to identify, you will need 4k cameras at minimum. Anything less is fuzzy at best when making stills. Think if all the news pictures of the “if you have seen this person” crime stories.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I run some Blink cameras on my place. They're okay. Functionality is simplistic but works. I don't get false activations very often. Resolution probably isn't enough for IDing people across a decent stretch of property but is suitable for identifying people in front of doors or in stairwells.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I run some Blink cameras on my place. They're okay. Functionality is simplistic but works. I don't get false activations very often. Resolution probably isn't enough for IDing people across a decent stretch of property but is suitable for identifying people in front of doors or in stairwells.

I use the same. They've very easy to setup and install and easy to add more cameras to if you want. They're also pretty inexpensive, but the downside is that everything is "in the cloud" and you have to pay Amazon an annual fee.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    Outdoor cameras are great except for two main issues: battery life & wireless signal. Do you already have cameras for the rest of your property? Can you mount cameras on your house & zoom them to cover the area you need? They also sell ethernet over power line adapters than can extend wired network to a garage or barn/shed if they are on the same circuit breaker. Amazon does sell some cameras and solar panels for about $75 , they text with motion activated, but do not record video unless you upgrade the account.

nmeyers11007

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2021
    I use the same. They've very easy to setup and install and easy to add more cameras to if you want. They're also pretty inexpensive, but the downside is that everything is "in the cloud" and you have to pay Amazon an annual fee.
    You can put a flash drive into the module and use that for local storage. You don't have to pay a fee to Amazon. That's what I do with my Blink system.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Blink for me too. Above comments spot on. Okay resolution, can fine tune to avoid false hits, USB for storage.

Primary uses for me:
    • See when mail/packages are delivered.
    • See when my wife gets home/leaves (she hates this)
    • Check house when traveling and a storm has blown through
    • Monitor squirrels that pose for selfies
      • I have one camera mounted in a tree looking at the front of the house and squirrels seem to be fascinated with it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    You can put a flash drive into the module and use that for local storage. You don't have to pay a fee to Amazon. That's what I do with my Blink system.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I'd looked it up when I bought it and it was supposedly not available at that time and was "coming soon". Either I didn't investigate it thoroughly enough or it's become available since. I'll have to look into it.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Interesting, thanks for the info. I'd looked it up when I bought it and it was supposedly not available at that time and was "coming soon". Either I didn't investigate it thoroughly enough or it's become available since. I'll have to look into it.
    Depends on the Blink device. My standalone indoor camera does not have the USB feature. The "pickup" unit/link for my remote outdoor cameras takes a USB stick.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    ispy software is what I think you are looking for. https://www.ispyconnect.com/

runs almost all new camera’s uses the camera as a motion detector and send out notifications. Also interconnects with home alexia and such.
    do what you want with the data. (That’s the key) cloud or local or remote.
    many streams of data available and it is open source software.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You can run them without the subscription if you use a sync module and local storage.

HHollow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    My .02 is whatever you install should be self contained. Everything saves to a server in your house. None of these cloud based cameras. Same reason you don't want an Alexa or similar device in your house.
    ^^This is what I want. But dang hard to find. All systems seen to claim some offline capability whether usable or not.

Vandujar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2022
    Hammond
    Anyone have experience with someone on the south side of Indy that can give me some advice/install a couple of outdoor cameras?
    My friend, I use LOREX, color at night with some light. Use cameras WiFi/Ethernet. Easy to install. Just Ethernet cable from NVR or recorder, to the camera directly. You don’t need power outlet for the cameras. Power goes thru the ethernet cable. I installed them my self very quick. Because they are wifi too, you can see them in your lorex icloud app. Www.Lorex.com

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I have both Wyze and Blink at different locations. Wyze is better if you can run power to it.

Blink is literally put batteries in and stick it on the wall...it doesn't get easier than that.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I don't have any info on an installer, Charlie. My apologies for that. We went with the Simply Safe option and put them up ourself. I'm sure ADT would come out and charge you an arm and a leg. Local guys are probably a Google search and a reference check away.

Top Bottom