• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I was cutting into some boxes with my Spyderco Delica, and got into some thin steel traps. I always tried to keep the blade sharp, and it did cut the straps, but damaged the blade a bit.
    I took it to my Spyderco Sharpmaker a couple times.
    So I was wondering how difficult would it be to fix this? Do I just continue to sharpen it until the damage is gone?

fa88070e.jpg
    [/IMG]

169b108c.jpg
    [/IMG]

2cddafda.jpg
    [/IMG]

a2b761a9.jpg
    [/IMG]

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    Ive resharpened and reshaped tips of knives that I have broken over the years on a grinder or belt sander, it takes a little practice to make them look good .

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Overall it doesn't appear to be that bad, some progressive stones should do the job fine. I'm betting that my edge pro would work, but I'll let Tyler chime in, as I know he could make quick work of it too. (probably significantly better quality at that)

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes, you will have to keep sharpening it until you remove enough metal that the chips/dents in the blade are gone. You could do this over the course of a few weeks, or you could do it all at once. your choice

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Overall it doesn't appear to be that bad, some progressive stones should do the job fine. I'm betting that my edge pro would work, but I'll let Tyler chime in, as I know he could make quick work of it too. (probably significantly better quality at that)

I dunno about that. Tyler has made it very clear to me before that he refuses to do any business with a Ginger like me. :):

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol i don't think its just gingers, good luck getting a hold of him anymore at all lol. i been trying to get him to re profile my golok and get me some camp showers ect with no luck. i also haven't seen him posting in here in at least a couple weeks.

either way just sharpen up your blade as normal and sooner or later they will be gone. no big deal

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Kevin "Psycho" "Sharpy" the oceanside drifter fixed a blade that was much worse than that for me on a sidewalk. He swiped it in the opposite direction one would normally sharpen (led with the back of the blade) a few times until it was smooth, then sharpened as normal.

Admittedly this was probably not the ideal solution, but it was incredible effective and has worked again for me since.:dunno:

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN

I will second this comment, I have worked much worse nicks than this out of blades before with a set of progressive stones. With a little patience, you might even be able to get the point a little sharper on that blade.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I gave Tyler my Endura today to take home and work on.

I may have possibly batoned it with my flashlight to open a spam can of ammo. :n00b:

It looked just slightly worse than yours. ;)

stony

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Pittsboro,IN
    Send it to Tyler.

I bought a Sebenza from a guy sight unseen that kinda looked like that, put it on my Wicked Edge and had it back to normal in about 20 minutes.

If you have the tools, it might be a good exercise.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Wha...why?

Seriously, I'd like to know more about what was going on there.

He said he was helping someone change the back plate on an AR, and noticed the spring had been pinched. They decided to cut off the pinched portion of the spring with his knife. The knife was a Cold Steel with AUS8 steel, and the chip in the blade was unbelievable. Took me quite a while to get it out, but the diamond stones were a great help.

Top Bottom