• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Just go to some of your local shops an see what they have. As its been said dont be affraid of a yugo an non chrome barrel. I have a yugo and love shooting that gun, just about more than any other I own. Just be sure to check the bore before you make a purchase. And after you get one, invest in the Tech Sights for it. Night an Day difference when I put them on my Yugo!

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Pics of the Tech Sights on the Yugo please. And as mentioned, open the bolt and check the barrel using a flashlight.
    And the fact that they r easy to break down is a huge plus.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Ive had a yugo for a long time ive never had any problems. About the chrome lined barrels IMO they help alot in hot damp climates but I doubt we have jungles like that in indiana. if you keep your sks clean you will never have any problems most of the com bloc corrosive surplus ammo has dried up except some Chinese ammo if you buy wolf ammo they say its non corrosive but you always treat all ammo as its corrosive so you should always keep it clean. When you start adding accessories they do loose alot of there reliability mostly because of the aftermarket magazines and as they come puting optics on it really isnt gonna do anything if you replace the receiver top cause it moves you can do it as a scout setup if you buy a quality mount.

A word on the M69/66 (Yugo SKS) they are heavy compared to the other SKSs the reason for this is the country didnt have the wide resources available like Russia and China/Norinco did so the guns were built stronger to last longer and because of this the actual Yugo made ammo was a hotter load. They didnt have natural chromium deposits hence the lack of a chrome lined barrel they have a NATO spec rifle grenade launcher but it can be removed via the snap rings. They have a folding thick blade type bayonet the Chinese SKSs have a thin spike type and I do not believe the Russian or Albanian SKs had attached bayonets. the difference between a 59/66 and 59/66A1 is the A1 had flip up night sights and they can be either a white paint or tritium. The Yugo stocks are comfortable for Americans when compared to other com bloc weapons. That extra little weight actually makes the rifle have little to no recoil. The gas valve is the only tricky part cause it has to be switched over just right or it will lead to frustration at the range. they have a little flap on the stock to store a small cleaning kit and there is a cleaning rod under the barrel. Normal sks front sight tools dont work unless you drill a slightly bigger hole in the top of the front sight hood. I know what stock your talking about but with the luck ive had with accessorzing its better to keep them stock and beware of the the cheap stripper clips they bind up alot atleast in the big bag I bought try to find some of the plain steel ones they cost a bit more but they are worth it. IMO a bullpup stock on a SKS would make it awkward to load and cock if you have to reload in the heat of a time you need it you gotta ask yourself do you have the process of flipping that little lid open feed a clip into the top back of the gun with your left hand up and over the top while holding it with your right hand cocking it with your left hand and then bringing it back to your shoulder to fire. Most not converted (real) bullpups have the cocking arm on the left side of the weapon for a reason. With the price most FFL dealers will charge you and shipping and cost of the rifle what about just paying an extra 50 to 100 bucks for a Romanian AK most SKSs cost just a tad less than an AK if bullpup is your thing they do make bullpup stocks for AKs thats just my :twocents:

Thanks for the history lesson, I've also done some more reading and I don't think the chrome lining is necessary. If I could find a m59 it would be great, since I wouldn't have to remove the grenade launching components to be compliant. I'm planning on removing the stock, gas piston, upper hand guard, and trigger (and grenade launcher if 59/66) to get to 10 regulated parts. I like the idea of more mass to the rifle as well, especially to tame the impulse of the recoil.

The bullpup stock gives you more leverage to make loading with clips easier, and he seems to reload in the video just fine. I would rather be able to carry more ammo in clips than less in magazines. All in all, it is a compromise I can accept and I can train to mitigate the deficiencies.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    As requested:D
    yugo.jpg

yugo2.jpg

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Hmm, looks like it needs removed to take out the bolt carrier and bolt, cover and spring. Is this correct. If they stay on and don't need readjusted then I may be in the market for them.
    Or once the thumbscrew is removed there is enough room for breakdown?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    The only thing that attaches is the cross bolt through the carrier housing just like the stock pin, then has four allen screws as you see in the pic for adjustment and to hold every thing tight. There not as difficult to adjust as you may think. If you want your SKS to shoot true, Tech sights are the only way to go, Hands down the best add on to the SKS IMO.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    If your even in Southern part of the state ill let ya check mine out and see what ya think, once you shoot one with Tech Sights you'll want them too. lol

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    If your even in Southern part of the state ill let ya check mine out and see what ya think, once you shoot one with Tech Sights you'll want them too. lol
    Whatcha mean "once I shoot one with tech sights you'll want them too"? I already want them just because I know they r good. Just never seen them or used them on an SKS.

And since it can be broken down without touching the actual sights, thats just win-win.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Whatcha mean "once I shoot one with tech sights you'll want them too"? I already want them just because I know they r good. Just never seen them or used them on an SKS.

And since it can be broken down without touching the actual sights, thats just win-win.

Just offering to let you see and use them in person, but I can see now that you do not need to:dunno:

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Just offering to let you see and use them in person, but I can see now that you do not need to:dunno:
    Nope, didn't mean it like that (downside to typing, I guess), just meant that I wanted them before, now that I see them on yours, makes me want them more. Been a fan, just wasn't sure how well they worked on the SKS. Thanks for the pics. If I head to let Louisville, I will give you a shout before I take off.

Top Bottom