• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Hey all.

I have not fished in years and when I did, I never used a float. Now, I'm trying to set up two fishing poles for myself and my son, but I don't know the right way to attach the floats.

Should the float slip on the line or should it be static? If static, how far should it be from the nearest hook?

Actually, I just realized that I have more questions. The way my setup used to be was: two or three hooks about six to eight inches apart from each other followed by the lead weight at the very end of the line. Reading about attaching the float it seems like they suggest attaching the float first, followed by the weight, followed by one hook at the end of the line. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Do you mean a bobber?

Unless they have changed since I fished, they have spring-loaded hooks that you just "clip" it anywhere on the line you want it.

Last edited:

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    The tag said "float", but it sounds like bobber is the same thing. How far above the hook should it be?

Also, I just edited my first post with more questions.

Thanks again. :)

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Bobbers -A bobber or a float, is a device that attaches to a fishing line and floats on the water's surface, used to indicate a strike. A bobber is also used to put a bait on a particular depth. When a fish takes the bait, the bobber quivers, jerks or goes completely under the water. Bobbers are usually painted in two different colors. The portion of the bobber that floats above the water is usually white, making it easy to see and keep track of. The bottom part is typically red or some other contrasting color so the angler can easily determine when a fish is mouthing or taking the bait.

The basic ball bobber is a round plastic float with recessed hooks on the top and the bottom. The angler runs the fishing line through booth hooks, which are exposed by depressing the spring loaded button on the top. Ball bobbers are good all around bobbers.

A slip bobber is a plastic or hard foam round or pear shaped float with a hole drilled through the middle. The angler runs the fishing line through the hole, and holds it in place with a tapered wooden or plastic stick inserted into the hole. One advantage of a slip bobber is the ability to fish baits very deeply. For instance, if you want to put a minnow in 10 feet of water, the bobber has to be about 9 feet from your hook and its impossible to cast with that mush line hanging down. With a slip bobber you can attach a bobber stop, a little bead, wherever you want to stop the bobber.
    It all depends how deep you wanna fish..

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Thanks, JcJ. I have the basic ball bobbers which sound like they should serve me well for most fishing in Indiana.

Any suggestions on the number of hooks and order of hook/weight?

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Thanks, JcJ. I have the basic ball bobbers which sound like they should serve me well for most fishing in Indiana.

Any suggestions on the number of hooks and order of hook/weight?

what are you fishing for? Anything that bites?

I usually just use one hook in Fresh water anywhere from a 1" to 3' down, anything else just tangles.. ymmv.. My best fishing is done with a big crawler, no bobber or weights, lots of feel, lots of fish.. You can do a couple of hooks spaced about 6-10" apart with a weight at the very end.. swivels can help, or hurt,, it's all just a pain in the butt..

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Float and bobber are interchangeable. I think it may be regional. If you use what is called a slip bobber then you have to put it and the bobber stop on before any hook or sinker. Slip bobbers are very adjustable. i have fished then over 10 feet deep. Try that with a spring bobber and still be able to cast.

Using 2 hooks on the line is pretty common fishing for perch up on Lake Michigan. For non specialized fishing I normally just use 1 hook. You don't normally need much weight if you aren't fishing in current unless you are trying cast way out. Like they said above. The depth depends on what you are fishing for, how active the fish are, how deep the water is...

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    The Red and White Bobbers will work both ways.
    If you depress the button and turn the eye you can allow it to slide for bottom fishing or clip it in place for a specific depth.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    For non specialized fishing I normally just use 1 hook.

That's what I will probably use to keep it simple for the little fella. Where do the weights go with this method? At the end of the line or between the bobber and the hook?

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    might also help to know where you are fishing. small lake? small stream? large river?

for small streams & lakes, fishing for panfish, like bluegill, sunfish or maybe even smallmouth bass, live bait and bobbers work pretty well, especially with kids or novice fisherman. depending on the depth of the water, and atmospheric conditions, most fish will hold in fairly shallow water. the previous advice of 1" to 3' is pretty good. if I use any weight, I try to keep it away from the bait slightly.

good luck on your outing. patience with the little ones is probably the hardest part, both on your part and his.;) as a new-father-in-waiting, I cant wait for the days when me & the little guy can get a line wet!

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    That's what I will probably use to keep it simple for the little fella. Where do the weights go with this method? At the end of the line or between the bobber and the hook?

If I am just floating a worm in a lake, I put a bit of weight (usually a split shot sinker) about 4 inches or so above the hook so that the fish doesn't feel the resistance right away.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The most important thing is getting the boy out there. Don't over think or overdo it. Any float that will cast well, pegged 3ish foot above the hook will work. Split shot halfwayish down. Don't mess with slip floats to start with.

Bocephus

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    ABNK, are you serious? I mean really? If you are an adult and cant figure out a 25cent bobber and then have trouble figuring out where to put a sinker. Come one. Someone better be driving you to this fishing hole and you better be wearing floaties.

:n00b:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ABNK, are you serious? I mean really? If you are an adult and cant figure out a 25cent bobber and then have trouble figuring out where to put a sinker. Come one. Someone better be driving you to this fishing hole and you better be wearing floaties.

:n00b:
    That's uncalled for man!
    Joking a bit is one thing, being a demeaning smart ass is another.

Top Bottom