• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Hey does anyone know how to polish scratches out of a stainless steel 1911? I need some advice and tips. I just a used one today that isn't too bad but it's been used and it shows.

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    Use ONLY a Scotch-Brite pad and NO polish at all, at first.

Use the finest texture of pad, and maybe try it out on a less-than-perfect other SS gun you may have and not care so much about. Work slowly! I turned a 95% brushed-finish gun into a 99% - finish piece, and got substantially more $ for it. I used the white pad. It only works on stainless or non-blued metal of course. I would only use a compound in dire necessity. I have used compound to fire-polish the rifling of some gun-barrels, but not everyone recommends that.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    It's a sig sauer 1911 so it's not really matte it's more satin finished. There's also the idiot scratch on it lol so I'm hoping to get that out as well.

gunworks321

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Noblesville
    I had to polish out some idiots initials on the front grip of a stainless Walther PPK. Used jewelers rouge and buffing wheel on variable speed bench grinder. About 30 mins later and smooth as a baby's butt.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    There's no real way to get it out on a satin/matte stainless without it being obvious as there is no good way, that I know of, to feather/match the finish.

You could just polish the entire gun, or you could have it blasted.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Really? some idiot carved his initials in it haha. Would a scotch bright pad do the trick? The scratches are only service scratches. I also have the option of painting the slide black with aervoe. Aervoe did a great job on my shot gun but I'm a little hesitant to do it to my 1911 lol

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    It might take an hour ...

... but isn't your piece worth that? I totally Scotch-brite-ed out the idiot-mark and some real handling damage on a Detonics Combat Master frame and slide, and although it dd take awhile, it sure was worth it. If I held it just right in direct sunlight the idiot-mark showed very faintly, but I was proud of it. BE PATIENT, and DO NOT SHOVE YOUR GUN INTO A GRINDER!! WHEELS are a last resort!
    Really? some idiot carved his initials in it haha. Would a scotch bright pad do the trick? The scratches are only service scratches. I also have the option of painting the slide black with aervoe. Aervoe did a great job on my shot gun but I'm a little hesitant to do it to my 1911 lol

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Ok that sounds fairly easy I think I'm gonna go with the scotch brite. Do you recommend a certain grit. Also could it ruin the satin finish?

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Still needing some input on stainless scratches. I don't want to ruin the satin finish so will scotch bright work or will it ruin the finish?

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    If it's high polish, a clean buffing wheel with white rouge will take care of it.

If it's a matte finish, you really need to redo the frame. The texture could be bead-blasted , etc., and you won't match a factory finish no matter how hard you try.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    A metal shop. A local jeweler might know where one is located. I used to do it, but I got rid of the equipment. Took up too much room in the shop for the few jobs I did per month.

If you have any anodizers in your area, they certainly will know who does it.

dfranks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    I had to polish out some idiots initials on the front grip of a stainless Walther PPK. Used jewelers rouge and buffing wheel on variable speed bench grinder. About 30 mins later and smooth as a baby's butt.
    That's funny! I wonder if he thought about putting his social security number on it as well :dunno:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Still needing some input on stainless scratches. I don't want to ruin the satin finish so will scotch bright work or will it ruin the finish?

If it's high polish, a clean buffing wheel with white rouge will take care of it.

If it's a matte finish, you really need to redo the frame. The texture could be bead-blasted , etc., and you won't match a factory finish no matter how hard you try.

^This if you want the finish to match.

Top Bottom