• ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    1500 SV

My wife has been shooting a Howa 1500 SV for several years now. It's a 12 twist .223 and is the gun she used for a 532 yard prairie dog kill. It has served well for many thousands of rounds. It dropped to #2 on her list when she got a CZ 527 in .204.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Just wondered if any one on here had one of the heavy barrel Howa varmint rifles. An if so how do you like it and your thoughts.

I bought a Howa heavy barrel wooden stock 223 for my son from Westside Loan a few years ago. I cut the barrel down to 18", Devconed (is that a word) the stock and slicked up the trigger. It is a nice shooting and very well made rifle. It is also a very smoth rifle. Most parts interchange with Weatherby rifles. I like them myself.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I bought a Howa heavy barrel wooden stock 223 for my son from Westside Loan a few years ago. I cut the barrel down to 18", Devconed (is that a word) the stock and slicked up the trigger. It is a nice shooting and very well made rifle. It is also a very smoth rifle. Most parts interchange with Weatherby rifles. I like them myself.

Yup Im looking to get one in 223 myself. For no further than I shoot Im looking to get out of my 308 bolt gun and get into a 223. I held a 22-250 sporter barrel model at my LGS an pretty much feel in love the new trigger they have on them is VERY nice. An the stock is feels very soild for a factory piece.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea from all that I have read on it so far seems that they get very good review for reliability and accuracy. But not sure on the 1:12 twist, I loaded all my match ammo for my precision AR I had, but it was a 1:8 twist. Has anyone loaded for the 1:12 an what bullet weight did you like best. Im assuming a 55gr HPBT or there abouts would probably work best.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    1:12

I load for the wife's Howa. Being a 12 twist it likes lighter bullets. Her 532 yard prairie dog was taken with white box Winchester 45 gr HP before I started reloading. I stay with 50 gr and lighter bullets for the gun. The 12 twist will not stabilize longer/heavier bullets. We actually tried some 62 gr steel core penetrators when we ran out of ammo at the range one day. With 50 VMax she was shooting one-hole groups at 100 yards. When we ran out, she tried the penetrators and couldn't hit a 4'x4' cardboard. We moved to the 25 yard line and the penetrators were hitting the target sideways. They are very long for weight. Length being the problem.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I load for the wife's Howa. Being a 12 twist it likes lighter bullets. Her 532 yard prairie dog was taken with white box Winchester 45 gr HP before I started reloading. I stay with 50 gr and lighter bullets for the gun. The 12 twist will not stabilize longer/heavier bullets. We actually tried some 62 gr steel core penetrators when we ran out of ammo at the range one day. With 50 VMax she was shooting one-hole groups at 100 yards. When we ran out, she tried the penetrators and couldn't hit a 4'x4' cardboard. We moved to the 25 yard line and the penetrators were hitting the target sideways. They are very long for weight. Length being the problem.

Thats a heck of a shot at that distance with such a light weight bullet. Nice shooting!
    You've confirmed my thoughts Rob. I was thinking of picking up some 50gr Amax or some 52gr Hornady match for load testing. What kind of powder were you running, I normaly have been using Varget in all my match loads for the 308 that I load.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Cheap

Thats a heck of a shot at that distance with such a light weight bullet. Nice shooting!
    You've confirmed my thoughts Rob. I was thinking of picking up some 50gr Amax or some 52gr Hornady match for load testing. What kind of powder were you running, I normaly have been using Varget in all my match loads for the 308 that I load.

I go cheap on powder. I used a lot of AA Data powders when they were available. Now I'm using AA2230 for everything. I'm told Varget, Benchmark, and BL(C)-2 are good for .223 also. I've used the latter two but not much.

532 was a pretty long shot for .223 on a small target with that light bullet. Weather conditions were good. She was zeroed at 200 and it took her 5 shots to walk one out to the very patient p dog. The little bullet was out of energy when it arrived on target. It hit the left shoulder and didn't exit! Took the critter to a taxidermist. He's sitting on a shelf in our living room. :D

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Thats still one heck of a shot Rob! Yea I use alot of BL(C)-2 myself to load my AR ammo. I like that AA2230 but the place close to me that sells reloading stuff dont keep much of that brand in stock. Im going to order my rifle Friday, so I cant wait!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Howa makes some very nice rifles. I lusted over a walnut stocked matte finished heavy barrel 308 many years ago but never got one. I'd like to have one in 223 now but I doubt it my CZ 527 Target/Varmint would like it much. Maybe a 308 or 30 06..... :dunno:

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Yea I have heard good things about the 308caliber models, just know one I know or have talked to has shot much of the 223 howa's. Sounds like from the digging Ive done they seem to be spot on accurate though.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yea I have heard good things about the 308caliber models, just know one I know or have talked to has shot much of the 223 howa's. Sounds like from the digging Ive done they seem to be spot on accurate though.

I've never handled one in .223, but I have a Howa 1500 in .204 Ruger, and it shoots better than I do.

Top Bottom