Hungarian FEG sa 85m AK? Help a newb out, please!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Completely unfamiliar with AK's. What do you think of the Hungarian FEG sa 85m AK, non-sportorized? Value? I've got chance to buy one and everything I read is good, but I guess I trust you folks more than the internet...lol.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    What do you mean by "non-sporterized"? If you mean pre-Bush1-ban, an rifle imported by Kassnar, they are highly collectible and very sought after. If you mean a post-Bush1-ban rifle that has been made to look original it is still a very nice rifle, and worth having if you like AKM style rifles.

The SA-85M were very well made and among the better of the AK variants. For the right price I personally would be hard pressed to pass one up.

Pre-bans are selling for $1200 and up. Post-ban for around $700 to $900 depending on condition and if it is in "new in box".

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Current owner purchased "new" 20 years ago, fired 20 rounds through it, cleaned it and stored it in a safe. Says the bayo lug is ground off, so I'm assuming post ban. By non-sportorized, I mean it does not have the thumbhole stock. I would be trading a brand new unfired Ruger Mini 30 in the box and 5 extra magazines.

Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    Current owner purchased "new" 20 years ago, fired 20 rounds through it, cleaned it and stored it in a safe. Says the bayo lug is ground off, so I'm assuming post ban. By non-sportorized, I mean it does not have the thumbhole stock. I would be trading a brand new unfired Ruger Mini 30 in the box and 5 extra magazines.

bayo lug ground off doesn't sound like a pre-ban to me but sounds more like a ban era rifle that was "non-sportorized" to look like pre-ban.

20 years ago is very close to the ban timeframe.

I bought one of these pre-ban Hungarian SA85M back in 2006 and I paid upwards of $1,600 (still have it). I occasionally look on GunBroker to see where they are selling today and I've seen them in the range of $1,800-2,500.

If it is a ban era then I would place the value in the $700 range.

Good luck and post some picture if you take the deal...

tacdriver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    VA
    agree with Barista in his assessment, and the price range is spot on from what I've seen on the market. they are nice variant of the AKM for ones collection

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Thanks for all the input. As I said, no experience with Mr. Kalashnikov's gift to the world and all the reading I did on the net only served to confuse the issue in my mind. As counter-intuitive as trading a brand new modern rifle for a 30+ year old one was in my mind, I trust your assessment. Thank you!

Top Bottom