• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    OK, I haven't been around for a long time. Big howdy to any of you who may remember me.

I recently heard that indiana voted to allow 30 caliber rounds for hunting.

i looked over the in.gov site to try and figure it out. but either its too ambiguous or Im lacking enough caffeine to understand it.

But on to the question that im sure has been answere at like 762 times.

I have a beautiful run of the mill Mosin Nagant. from like 1938 or 32, no mods, no frills, just chills.

Can I deer hunt with it?

Thanks!

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    On private property, yes. I will be using mine this year if I can find some SP or HP ammo anywhere.
    The round meets the 1.16 in length requirement and bullet diameter.

I know I've seen hollow points before but I couldn't tell you where. I do know that there is a lot of soft point ammo available out there for them. S&B, PPU, Winchester and more all make soft point 7.62x54R.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Wouldn't soft point work for deer?

What ru44mag said.
    Except with varmint bullets, hollowpoint with high powered rifles for hunting are a very bad idea, as they're not put there for expansion, but to shift the center of gravity rearward to aid in target shooting.
    For high powered rifles used for hunting (except varmints again, as those specific bullets are intended to fragment), softpoints are the order of the day.
    The only exceptions are the solid copper or solid gilding metal bullets (Barnes TSX/TTSX, Hornady GMX, Nosler E-Tip, etc.) with a tiny hollowpoint or a plastic tip inserted in the front of the bullet to initiate expansion.

Top Bottom