• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    finding a lot of ductwork in my crawspace that is not sealed. Working on repairs but have a question. Where the space between joist are used as ducts how do you seal the gap between the wood and metal? Can you use the foil tape?

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I was in a ladies crawl the other day and she said she had to have the heat at 85 to keep house warm and she just had a a new furnace put in and that here room stayed cool. Opened up the crawl and got a blast of heat..... Yeah the hvac guy forgot to re attach all the ductwork!

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Duct tape, foil tape, or you can get what guys in the field call duct butter. It's like a liquid brush on duct tape, put it on with a paint brush and it usually dries completely in 24 hours. Seals really good but it can be a little messy.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Similar question: Some friends of ours have said they have a problem with ductwork under their slab foundation (leaks water and has temp problems). There has to be another way to seal it without taking a jackhammer to their slab... isn't there?

Blessings,
    Bill

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Similar question: Some friends of ours have said they have a problem with ductwork under their slab foundation (leaks water and has temp problems). There has to be another way to seal it without taking a jackhammer to their slab... isn't there?

Blessings,
    Bill

I thought everything was above the cement on a slab house:dunno:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    When I was a teenager we lived in a condo with some ducts in the slab. Never seemed like a good idea to me.

Cheapdiesel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    I have seen a lot of slab houses with the ducts in the slab. Never works well and there is not much you can to to improve things.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    On a slab, the duct work is all in the attic and the walls. At least that's all I've ever seen.

Some houses, not sure of the time frame, were built with the ductwork in the slab. Around the time when tri-levels were popular. A couple friends of mine have these slab houses. Personally I think its a bad design.

glock34

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks for the replies. I was at a loss for words yesterday when I started pulling some of the insulation back. Since I have a mess to finx I wanted to do it right. here is a photo of some of the shiz I am finding. That is running thru my cold air return. you can also see another hole in the babkground

IMG_20120122_161802.jpg

IMG_20120122_161802.jpg

Top Bottom