• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    My wife's business is going to rent her son's garage from him and he will be working for her in there. We need to have a mini split installed for his single car garage and I'm looking for the most cost effective means to do so. He lives in a brick ranch so if drilling through the brick is a requirement that should be the only significant obstacle.

I've seen the units by Mr Cool which are designed to be user installed (everything but the electrical) but I heard a second hand report from an HVAC guy that they're not worth buying. If anyone has had a different experience with them please share it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I installed one at my house earlier this year. Seems to be working fine so far. :dunno:

It was the cheapest option so I figured what the heck, why not try it myself and see if they’re any good. A friend of mine has a smaller house and had three or four of them installed. He seems to be happy with them so far.

As always - YMMV

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I wanted to avoid penetrating the brick and also an interior hallway to cross for a conventional central A/C unit. I went up into the attic and down the outside wall with the lines. The pressures that A.C operates does not even take notice of a 10 foot vertical climb. I wrapped it all in foam insulation and never had any problem with condensation on the low pressure line.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Only experience I have with mini-splits are Mitsubishi units that we spec for computer rooms, etc. They seem to work well and I wouldn't hesitate to use one. As long as you don't go over about 25 feet for the lineset, you should be good (see manufacturer's written instructions). I don't know anything about the Mr. Cool brand, but the ones we use have pre-charged lines that you don't have to pull a vacuum on - just screw them together and go.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Only experience I have with mini-splits are Mitsubishi units that we spec for computer rooms, etc. They seem to work well and I wouldn't hesitate to use one. As long as you don't go over about 25 feet for the lineset, you should be good (see manufacturer's written instructions). I don't know anything about the Mr. Cool brand, but the ones we use have pre-charged lines that you don't have to pull a vacuum on - just screw them together and go.
    The Mr Slims are good solid unit and built well. If memory serves me correctly you can go much further than 25’ for installing.. maybe things have changed
    Not sure about the Mr cool units.. never dealt with. Trane

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Mitsubishi and gree are the units my place of employment installs.

A problem with precharged lines and hooking and forgetting is you don't pull a vacuum which is your last chance to check if you have a leak or not.

If you use a pump for the condensate, check it often. My only experience with one is it died a few fays after install.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There is a reason Mr Cool are sold to anyone with a credit card. They are super cheap. Parts are a pain in the ass to get for repairs. We install LG, Daikin, Mitsubishi, and Carrier/Bryant’s for a reason….customer/tech Support for the product.
    I'm probably too far north but I'd be interested what you'd recommend for a single car garage? Unfortunately budget is an issue at the moment but I don't like buying cheap and regretting it later either. Just trying to find the sweet spot.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    The Mr Slims are good solid unit and built well. If memory serves me correctly you can go much further than 25’ for installing.. maybe things have changed
    Not sure about the Mr cool units.. never dealt with. Trane
    You can go further than 25', but then for the ones I've seen you've got to add charge to the system to account for the additional tubing volume. I don't think you're supposed to go over about 150', though, although it's been a couple years since I read the installation instructions.

Skip Schippers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2024
    Fort Wayne
    I have done hvac for 35 years most of the mini splits are all made by same manufacturer a Fujitsu a carrier a trane all are pretty much the same. I have replaced the Mr cool units for problems with leaks because they have quick connect fittings. All manufacturers have certain line set lengths for example a carrier has to be minimum 15’ from indoor out unit and anything over 82 feet you add .4 oz per foot. If putting in a two car garage don’t go smaller than 24,000 btu not for the cooling capacity but the heating capacity. I have also done a lot of mini splits with one outdoor unit and multiple indoor heads

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I have done hvac for 35 years most of the mini splits are all made by same manufacturer a Fujitsu a carrier a trane all are pretty much the same. I have replaced the Mr cool units for problems with leaks because they have quick connect fittings. All manufacturers have certain line set lengths for example a carrier has to be minimum 15’ from indoor out unit and anything over 82 feet you add .4 oz per foot. If putting in a two car garage don’t go smaller than 24,000 btu not for the cooling capacity but the heating capacity. I have also done a lot of mini splits with one outdoor unit and multiple indoor heads

I did a Mr Cool system at my house but I brazed the lines in. Haven’t had any problems yet.

Skip Schippers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2024
    Fort Wayne
    I did a Mr Cool system at my house but I brazed the lines in. Haven’t had any problems yet.
    That’s the ticket is get rid of those quick connects I don’t believe in so much the brand but who does the work. I put in a scratch and dent unit in my buddies cabin Baldwin Michigan three years ago and unit has ran perfect since installed

Top Bottom