• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    OK, here is my confusion. I see Glock 19's for sale and they tend to bring a premium. Even used, a used Glock 19 sells for as much as I can find a new one. However, I have run into several Glock 23's for $400 or less with little or no use. Is there a reason that the same gun in a 40 sells for less than a 9????

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    G19s are more in demand, therefore they bring a higher price.

Or you could say. . .

G19s bring a higher price, therefore they are more in demand.

Ever notice all the close-out "deals" on M&P40s? Same thing.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    People with 9mm guns think their S dont stink so they try to sell their used guns for more then they paid new

But in all seriousness, if you want a G19, get a G23 and spend $100 for a conversion barrel. Get yourself some 9mm mags and try it out, if it doesn't work reliably you can buy the 9mm extractor and ejector and probably be right at, or maybe a little more, than the price of the G19s and have the option to shoot 40 if you want to.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Is there a reason that the same gun in a 40 sells for less than a 9????
    Yes, and if you have to ask then you just don't get it.

Although I have noticed in my own unscientific survey, when BullSh**ing with todays youth, say 16 to 25, they all want a Glock Fo-Oh. But they also think the Taurus Judge is cool and have no money anyway.

As for the G23, if you like it, buy it. If you own it, eat it. If you want a deal on a G19, you have to buy used but it will take time to find a real deal. Have cash and be ready to act quickly.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Zillions of Glock 23 surplus LEO guns would be my guess.
    Most Police Departments went to the 40 S&W which eventually glutted the G22 and G23 market with surplus pistols.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    Zillions of Glock 23 surplus LEO guns would be my guess.
    Most Police Departments went to the 40 S&W which eventually glutted the G22 and G23 market with surplus pistols.

I think this has a lot to do with it. Plus, I've seen lots of people buy a .40S&W and then decide they didn't like the snappy recoil, then go out and trade it in for a 9mm.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    People with 9mm guns think their S dont stink so they try to sell their used guns for more then they paid new

But in all seriousness, if you want a G19, get a G23 and spend $100 for a conversion barrel. Get yourself some 9mm mags and try it out, if it doesn't work reliably you can buy the 9mm extractor and ejector and probably be right at, or maybe a little more, than the price of the G19s and have the option to shoot 40 if you want to.

Well said! I agree completely!:yesway:

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    +1 on the g23 with 9mm conversion. Best of both worlds, cheep plinking and 40 for serious social calls. Love my g23 so much I bought 2 :)

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    If you are interested in the Glock 23, something that you might check out is the new Walther PPQ. I was pretty interested in the G23 until I tried out the PPQ. Maybe doesn't help you, but well worth the look if you havent bought yet. I found the grip style and whatnot fit me better, but I have odd-sized hands. Results may vary...

YoungBlood21

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Greenfield
    +2 on the 9mm conversion for the .40 that is the exact reason I bought the 23 as apposed to the 19, so that I could eventually buy a 9mm conversion barrel so that I would then have something that is cheaper to plink with at the range and all I would have to do is swap out the barrels when I wanted to carry .40 S&W.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Hmm, I like my 19 and 17, have a 22 that I am only selling to consolidate calibers. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of them or the 23. The subs are more about personal choice. 9 vs. 40 doesn't really matter.

And for the guys that put the 9mm barrel in their 40s, what spring do you run?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Hmm, I like my 19 and 17, have a 22 that I am only selling to consolidate calibers. But I don't think you can go wrong with any of them or the 23. The subs are more about personal choice. 9 vs. 40 doesn't really matter.

And for the guys that put the 9mm barrel in their 40s, what spring do you run?

I had a G22, good gun! I also had the lone wolf conversion barrel, I just swapped barrels and used G17 mags with the conversion barrel. Worked great! I would have kepy the G22 I had but it was my only .40 and I swapped it for a .45 G21. That .40 is a nasty round, I think I would pick the G23 if I wanted a Glock .40 to play with and carry. I've had al the sizes and I end up sticking with my G19 for carry.

Top Bottom