• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glocks are ugly, soulless chunks of plastic. (No purple!) Yet in spite of it all I find myself always carrying one to the range. They are easy to shoot and every one that I have owned over the years as always went bang. They are a tool and nothing more. Drop them, freeze them, forget to clean them, they are the Mack Truck of the handgun world. So, the Glock 23 got the range time while my Browning Hi Power sat in the safe. Oh I pulled that beautiful, all steel single action auto out of the safe from time to time. Admired its classic design and told myself that is what a pistol is supposed to look like. If a gun can be sexy then that Browning surely was. Forget the fact that it bit the web of your hand, those were love bites. Night sights forget that, guns like the Hi Power are supposed to be seen so why carry them after dark. And there is nothing better to build hand strength then a 20 pound recoil spring. (This Hi Power was chambered in .40 S&W). I used to pull that gun out of its case and think about how much I used to enjoy reading the articles written by the late Stephan Camp. I even recently have started more dry fire practice in the evenings. That old reliable Browning just would not put itself on target automatically like it used to. Too much Glock shooting. And darn if I did not forget to flip that safety off and on. Seriously!!!!!!!! Something had to give, times are tough and there is no room for safe queens.

So I stopped at my favorite gun shop on the way to the In-Laws this afternoon. What did they have to help me with my problem? Taking my own advise I traded off that beloved Hi Power for a full size Glock 35. So now my range gun can match a potential carry gun. Don't know if I did the right thing but I already owned both a right and left handed holster for the Glock 23. I suppose a Glock on each hip shows a certain amount of class in and of itself.

2012-02-04_20-37-40_773.jpg

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    This comment is based only on looks: I'm not a glock fan at all, but by far the glock is better looking the the hi power. The hi power ranks right along with the hi point in looks. Lol

I would have done it.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    If your happy with your trde thats all that matters. I'm a Glock fan, however i'm torn between the Glock 29 and the CZ 75 as my next purchase. Time will tell. I'm having alot of fun with that 10mm rd,however my rotation is lacking a 9mm.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Geez, vert. I hope the shop gave you a good deal.

I'd like to have given you enough for the 35 and a half dozen mags.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Geez, vert. I hope the shop gave you a good deal.

I'd like to have given you enough for the 35 and a half dozen mags.

Yeah I traded it straight out. $20 exchanged hands because I picked up an extra mag. The Glock 35 was previously owned but it still had the copper colored lube in it from the factory. I would be very surprised if it has even been fired.

I bet if you PM Mark at Bite the Bullet you could get my old Hi Power Practical in .40 S&W bought for a fair price. It is a solid gun and nothing wrong with it. Some holster wear to the finish on the slide. The hard chrome on the frame was in good shape, but that stuff is basically indestructable. Only thing I did to it was deactivate the magazine disconnect and added the kydex beavertail and better grips.

I have no doubt that Browning is more accurate then the newer Glock 35 will be.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    What's wrong with a Hi Power? It's not as secksi as a 1911, but JMB did no wrong, I tells ya. A Hi Point is the progeny of first cousins at the least.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I love my single action, but I carry a Glock far more than anything else. Can't go wrong with a G35, now you will have to take it to a USPSA match for some trigger time.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I hate to say it, but I love all my fire arms. Going to the range is bad for me, trying to decide which to bring and which to leave behind. I'd like to take them all, but too much cost to feed them and way too much work to make that many trips. On the other hand, function is sexy as all get out. I enjoy shooting my Glock 23, but for me personally, my 1911 just makes me feel so much better.

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    I kinda understand where you are coming from. I bought a g23 and retired my 1991 to protect it and its value. Not that I would ever sell it!

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    I hate to say it, but I love all my fire arms. Going to the range is bad for me, trying to decide which to bring and which to leave behind. I'd like to take them all, but too much cost to feed them and way too much work to make that many trips. On the other hand, function is sexy as all get out. I enjoy shooting my Glock 23, but for me personally, my 1911 just makes me feel so much better.

I have done the same thing. I have taken them all but that got old fast. I feel like I need to apologize to the guns I leave behind! I always take my EDC with me for practice, but take a few different ones each time!

:ar15:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I love my single action, but I carry a Glock far more than anything else. Can't go wrong with a G35, now you will have to take it to a USPSA match for some trigger time.

That is my thoughts exactly if time and finances allow. I really enjoyed shooting action pistol when I lived out west. I used a 9mm Hi Power and always felt the .40 version would make a good limited 10 gun. But the G35 is ready to go right out of the box and much easier to find magazines, holsters and parts.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have done the same thing. I have taken them all but that got old fast. I feel like I need to apologize to the guns I leave behind! I always take my EDC with me for practice, but take a few different ones each time!

Same here, its hard to take them all! EDC should get shot for sure though. If I had any matches here I would probably have a G34. :yesway:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

I agree with you. Always bring your carry piece. Heck, if I had a .22 pistol, I'd bring that everytime, just cause its so cheap to feed. Sounds like my next buy, haha. Got 2 new pistols at the end of last year, Glock 22 and an M9 Beretta. Course, Ive had to bring them both to the range to break them in. Now, just to narrow down which I would like to carry out of all the others, haha

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    I laugh because I understand what you mean by feeling dirty by making the move...

But you certainly need to stick to practicality for YOU, and I think you made the right decision.

Now if we all had all the money in the world? No reason to ever sell it! Rather would be like letting that ol' Corvette sit in the garage
    for the rest of it's life and being okay with it just because you know it's in your possession. :D

Smart move though, I think. And for sake of comparison, maybe someday find you a good competition 1911 shooter.
    Those will always be drop dead sexy, classy and functional. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom