I have an old rifle I need restored and I could use some help.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My late grandpa gave me a rifle that’s one of my most prizedpossessions and it’s in pretty rough shape. It’s an old percussion cap muzzleloader that was put in an attic when hemoved into their last house. At the timeit was put up there in great shape, but the moisture got to it and currentlynow it looks like something that was found in the bottom of a river.

The story behind the rifle: Bear in mind this is how I remember an old man telling me this story sodates are approximate. My Grandpa grewup in Ohio and used to cut and bring an elderly lady firewood when he was a boyabout 7 – 8 years old. One day as herway of thanking him the lady she called him to come over to a closet where shepulled out this rifle. She told him thatshe had it when she was a little girl his age when they moved into Ohio andthat she used it to shoot chicken hawks. My Grandpa was in his late seventies when he gave me this rifle and hesaid the elderly lady was probably about his age when she gave it to him. I don’t know the exact dates or where I couldeven find them, but it’s an incredibly old rifle.
    I know it broke my Grandpa’s heart when he pulled his oldprized muzzleloader down from the attic to give to me and saw it for the firsttime in years. He just didn’t know whatto say about how bad the moisture had gotten to the rifle and how rusted up itwas. I know it wasn’t in the conditionthat he wanted to pass the rifle along in.

With that in mind I’d like to know if there’s any hope toget this old rifle back into fully functioning condition. Now obviously I’m not talking about using anyfull power loads or trying to blast something huge with it. My goal in fixing up this rifle would be toget it in good enough condition that all of his grandsons could fire a verylight load out of it just to say they fired it. When I say a lite load, I’m talking about the rifle going bang and thebullet hitting a pile of dirt 50’ away. Nothing too exciting, but I want to know the rifle works. I don’t really want to just have the gun setaround for the rest of my life as a wall hanger, and I know my grandpa and Iagreed that guns are meant to be shot and owned by those who appreciateit.

This isn’t the first time that I’ve inquired about gettingthis rifle fixed up. About a year or twobefore Grandpa passed I took the rifle to a gunsmith I’d known and trusted withmany firearms over the years in Fort Wayne. That gunsmith is no longer with us but even after a year and a half henever got the rifle to where it’s function and fire because everything was sofar rusted shut. I know he was anoutstanding gunsmith, but I don’t know that he specialized in antiquemuzzleloaders in all fairness to him.

The whole reason this came up is because we recently movedand I had to dig this rifle out of the back of the safe for transport. Holding the rifle brought back memories and Iknow it’d make my grandpa happy if I got the thing shooting again. It’s not a rifle I’m going to go shoot a lot,but some day when I teach my kids about their grandpa, I’d like to be able tolet them take a shot with this old rifle and tell them a story or two abouthim.

If you know of anyone out there who could help me get anantique muzzleloader back up and running I’d sure appreciate the lead. Preferably in north east Indiana, but if notI can live with going farther away from home.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    If the rifle is old, really old, then it is the best bet to as least invasively as possible removing rust that is loose, and then retard any future oxidation. Clean it but do not remove it's history. Do not shoot it, or you could loose it, especially since it sat in a hunid attic for no telling how many years.

Not long ago I watched a good friend of mine damage his family heirloom Appalachian Mountain style muzzleloader. He let the hammer fall on a 160+ year old percussion drum and the old iron gave out and the drum snapped off at the barrel. Old metals were not what they are today.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    need pics. I may even be able to help you identify the model/manufacturer. need pics and any identifying things you can see. Get a nice penetrating oil and wipe her down...DO NOT SCRUB SAND OR SCRAPE...patina is a collectors friend. Use a nice linen or cotton rag. Avoid terry towel as it can leave fluffs of junk in the pits as well as be abrasive as it picks up rust and scrapes it down the gun as you clean. Pics are good if you need to take them and email them to me and i can get the old dust off my research books and help ya date/identify it. Also...if it came with a ram rod..ensure its not loaded...many older rifles were left loaded for decades or longer...they rarely go off...but it can. Use ramrod to tell if barrel is empty..then clean away. If loaded..shake upside down. If ball doesnt come out..dont go in after it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'll try to get some picture up tonight or this weekend. We've been really busy at the house due to the move.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    First things first, my appologies for taking so long for posting pictures. Since the original post we've moved into a new house and had a baby. Still no excuses and I should have gotten this done a long time ago. Some of these pictures actually make the rifle look a lot worse than it really is, and others are pretty accurate.

IMG_4297.jpg

IMG_4298.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4302.jpg

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4304.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_4306.jpg

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    That looks like a Dimick rifle. A fine piece in it's day. Looks like the original false muzzle is still there, along with the set triggers. These were used for hunting, competition and Civil War sharpshooting. They were know to be rugged and accurate. Restore with care - that is a piece of American history.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    That looks like a Dimick rifle. A fine piece in it's day. Looks like the original false muzzle is still there, along with the set triggers. These were used for hunting, competition and Civil War sharpshooting. They were know to be rugged and accurate. Restore with care - that is a piece of American history.

I'll have to look up the history on the Dimick rifle's. I have no idea about rifles from that vintage.

American History or not, it'll never leave my family's possesion and some day when I'm a very old man I'll make sure it's passed on to the next gun nut in the family.

Rev

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    You got a nice old 1/2 stock there, my first thought was its a Vincent rifle, they were makers in Ohio. The angle of the butt stock and the way the end of the butt stock is curved, the double set triggers,the pewter end cap screams Vincent. But no patch box got me second guessing myself. Dimick is a good guess also. Kind of looks like a .32 cal?
    You now have a great excuse to head to friendship this year, for one of the biggest BP shoots ever, lots of experts down there to give you the low down, also a nice BP show in noblesville in Feb. If you get it to shoot GREAT, if not still a great piece

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I measured the muzzle diameter last night and it's a .32 cal for sure. It's just heart breaking to see such an old gun like that turn out the way it did.

iSaladbar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I was kind of in the same spot as you. My father had a Llama .32 that my grandfather carried on him when he passed away. He passed away when my father was a very young boy and that Llama is pretty much the only thing we have to remember him by. Well the pistol was probably in the worse condition possible. rusted pitted and the whole works. My now brother-in-law is a gunsmith in Columbia City and he redid the whole thing for me. He did a rust blu for me. That was the best decision I have ever made. the first pic is the slide release before he redid that and then the after picture. Let me know if you would like to get a hold of him.

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a509/isaladbar/llamabefore.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a509/isaladbar/llamaafter.jpg

Top Bottom