• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I've figured out how to field strip my SKS just fine.

However, it would seem logical that the gas tube would need serviced if corrosive ammo is being shot, and the same with the trigger group.

How do I get to these to clean them?

Thanks,

Josh <><

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    I love the way the SKS shoots. I'd like to know hwo to remove the gas tube as well.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    After removing the receiver cover, operating handle, and bolt carrier and bolt, rotate the gas cylinder lock to its uppermost position and lift the rear of the handguard to remove the gas cylinder tube and the gas piston. The tube can be upended and the piston will slide out.

For the trigger group; Depress the catch located behind the loop of the trigger guard and pull the trigger group down and out of the rifle. The safety must be in the safe position before the catch can be depressed.

From Army TC 9-56.... I hope this helps.

Last edited:

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    After removing the receiver cover, operating handle, and bolt carrier and bolt, rotate the gas cylinder lock to its uppermost position and lift the rear of the handguard to remove the gas cylinder tube and the gas piston. The tube can be upended and the piston will slide out.

For the trigger group; Depress the catch located behind the loop of the trigger guard and pull the trigger group down and out of the rifle. The safety must be in the safe position before the catch can be depressed.

From Army TC 9-56.... I hope this helps.

These steps are sometimes easier said than done.
    I had a chicom that required a large brass pin and hammer to remove the trigger group.
    A 12ga shotgun swab will clean the gas tube.
    Do not leave any excess oil in the gas tube it should be very dry when reassembled or it will collect carbon.
    Beware of the operating rod and spring when removing the gas tube.
    It will shoot across the room like a scared rabbit.
    Wrapping a towel loosely around the area will help contain the op-rod and spring. You will have to wiggly the gas tube while pulling up on it with some rifles with a tighter fitting gas tube.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks folks. Got 'er.

Now, I really screwed up on the copy'n'paste. This was supposed to be a field report... dangit! :embarrassed:

Following in a moment...

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Thanks again folks.

I'm reading that it may possibly be illegal to have the bayonet on this carbine, even though it came with it.

It's Chinese with a serial number just slightly over 9,000,000.

Any help?

Thanks,

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I can't make heads or tails out of the federal laws. Indiana code is easy to understand, but that federal stuff makes my head spin.

I thought, though, that removing parts would only make it illegal if it were a C&R carbine, which the Chinese version is not.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I'm curious... how much do you suppose I should have paid for this thing? I paid what I did because it was worth it to me, and it's in new shape. I've not seen one in this shape before and figured it was probably worth it.

Josh <><

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have a Russian that I paid $375 for. I figure if you got it for under $300 its not bad.

Seems that Norincos are getting harder to find. I will give you $200 for it!! :):

Top Bottom