• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I need a .308. OK, I don't NEED IT, I want it. Trouble is I'm not sure which .308 I want/need. It's primary use will be Hunting deer in Wyoming... But other uses are possible. Any suggestions? Make & Model? AR vs Traditional style? Optics?

Any hints/help is appreciated.

Thanks

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Budget? Distance?

You can go anywhere from $300 with optics on the low end to several $k on the high end.

Remington 700 and Savage Mk 10 are both fine rifles available in a wide variety of configurations for bolt actions.

LR308 (for some manufacturers such as DPMS) and AR10 (Armalite) are basically the same guns and the DPMS is very good value for the money in their LR308, with most of their guns MOA out of the box (better than most shooters).

Mostly is just boils down to what you like. Best thing to do would be to get with folks who have them and shoot a few until you decide what YOU like. Ignore the folks that tell you that model X is the ONLY way to go, most of the reputable factory offerings these days shoot better than the average shooter.

Last edited:

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Hard to go wrong with a Savage
    I have had great success with Savage. I had a older style 112 and after a new stock and adjusting the trigger to where I liked it I was hitting 750 yards with 75 grain .223

I know quite a few people that have turned to Savage over the last few years. Its great quality at a affordable price. There Tactical selection has turned some heads too.

Im not saying Savage is the way to go. I have shot many Remington 700s over the years and loved almost all of them.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I have a Savage 110 - the heavy-barreled "tactical model" used an online guide to clean, and adjust the trigger pull and it meets the design goal I had in mind when i built it.

Put the gun near the back door of my buddy's house, spend the night, get up walk the 200 yards to the range, lay down prone and shoot a US quarter we taped up at the 100 yard line.

It's never given me a minute of trouble.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I would LIKE to stay REASONABLE, NOt sure what that means though
    seen some under $1000, also seen some AR style over $1500. Prefer LESS but willing to pay for GOOD stuff

xmas_asn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Fort Irwin, Ca
    Springfield M1A Standard Loaded (National Match SS barrel), with Leupold MK4 L/RT 8.5-25x50!

It puts a grin on my face anyways :)
    I know the feeling, I have the exact same rife except I have a Leupold Mk3 L/RT 10x40 I just ordered my Sadlak NM spring guide, Sadlak NM Grooved Polished TIN Piston, Smith Enterprises Shim Kit, Troy Mid-evil muzzle break, and I working a deal on a Troy MCS with a member of InGun. If that falls threw I will just buy a Sage. I had a Sage stock on my M14 in Iraq and didn't care for it. So Im really hoping on this deal.
    Just thought I would share.

SWATDUDE

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    EAST CENTRAL INDIANA
    i have a remington 770 i bought for a beater, it was only like 300 bucks with a cheap scope included, i painted it up and used this year on coyote hunting, then i went and bought a Browning A bolt Eclipse .308 with a Bushnell Elite 3500, gun was like 1000 bucks and the scope was about the same.

Top Bottom