I thought the Sig P228 was discontinued?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    From what I read/heard Sig did away with the P228 in favor of the P229 as far as civilian sales go, not sure about military contracts i.e M11 pistol.

But I found this auction on gunbroker for a brand new Sig P228 with no rail on the frame and the second pic shows the gun's box dated Oct 29th, 2011.

Has Sig resumed production of the P228 or what?:dunno:

Personally I hope so....:rockwoot:

Sig Sauer P228 German Made No Rail 9mm Night Sight : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Scuttlebutt: I have heard that Sig still makes the 228 for it's .Mil contracts. It was not COMMERCIALLY available for civvie purchase. They still pop up from what I hear, time to time, in the civvie market.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I would LOVE to find a NIB 228. I had an old one made in Germany, and like an idiot I sold it. Bought a 229 and HATE having the rail on a sig. It just isn't right to put a rail on such a pretty and perfect gun.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I agree, guns like the Sig shouldn't have a rail, to me they make a metal framed gun ugly. But that's just my opinion.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I picked up two, when I had the chance. One I've kept NIB (although it's been sent off to Grayguns for action work) and the other is in my EDC rotation. They really are beautifully pointing pistols. For me, they have better balance and ergonomics than the P229. In any case, I think this newer version is missing the matched triple serial numbers of the old W. German versions, and they've been MIM'd up a bit. I think the trigger is stamped as opposed to machined, too. Still, if you can't get your hands on an original, I bet they still shoot like a dream.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I would LOVE to find a NIB 228. I had an old one made in Germany, and like an idiot I sold it. Bought a 229 and HATE having the rail on a sig. It just isn't right to put a rail on such a pretty and perfect gun.

I'm sort of the opposite. I love rails, especially on Sigs. But hey, a ciascuno il suo (to each his own).

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    In that ad, "German made" might be the key. Could they still be in production in Europe, just not by SIG-Sauer here in the USA? We just got a German-made P226 at the shop from one of our distributors, so maybe they're being used as a stopgap due to shortages of domestic guns due to a big contract? Glock went through something similar with the G19 a couple years ago.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I remember that when they brought the Austrian G19's they had the the Austrian proof marks ect, and an import mark under the trigger guard if I remember right.

RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I've been looking at P228's as well. I am only leery that the ones I'm seeing have been rejiggered and don't hold to the Sig standards that many have come to know.
    Anyone have experience with this?

Boomstick

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Jeffersonville, IN
    They even do a new 228R, kinda ruins the liens of the gun and adds some weight, but its nice to have options.
    mmefr7.jpg

Top Bottom