If you stink would video make any difference ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Wondering about hat/glasses camera for Xmas.

I can understand how video would help the good shooters who are looking to refine technique and find ways to subtract tenths here and there.

Not sure about the unwashed masses though. If your footwork goals do not yet reach beyond remaining upright and your mistakes are obvious to passing pedestrians, would a camera be worthwhile?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    From your own point of view camera? No idea.

Something like Coach's Eye and video of you from the side, absolutely.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I have a video of my son two summers ago, he was shooting a match at Atlanta one weekend, he had just taken a class a few weeks earlier from Mongo. He dumped around 2 ( P226 ) Mags full on one of the falling steel targets before it finely fell, the worst / best part of the video was when he was one round short of finishing and the RO timer yelled BANG.

To watch it and hear the ping...ping...ping.... Go on and on and on.. And then BANG.. Man I love that video..
    Videos can be a humbling experience..

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I've yet to understand what training value you can get from 1st person views.
    From a regular camera, you really see all your mistakes and time wasted...
    -rvb

sv40sw45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    South Indiana
    They are a good tool if you place the camera where you can see what you are doing on most of the stage. I tried the hat can and could only see the targets and my forearms and hands so I went with a different camera angle to see all of the stages I can and it is a good tool.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    In a ideal world both angles would be great.

I use first person out of convenience but I also think it computes better for me.

If it didn't work Eric Grauffel and Max Michel wouldn't be using it.

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    I think the Gopro is great. You can either wear it or mount it on a tripod so you can get any view you want. It's biggest advantage to me is its wide view lens. Plus it's very small and doesn't require a suitcase to carry around.
    Comes with free downloadable editing software, which allows you to slo mo any video and see in detail what you are or are not doing correctly.
    I have one if you would be so inclined to try it out sometime to see if it works for you.

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    Wondering about hat/glasses camera for Xmas.

I can understand how video would help the good shooters who are looking to refine technique and find ways to subtract tenths here and there.

Not sure about the unwashed masses though. If your footwork goals do not yet reach beyond remaining upright and your mistakes are obvious to passing pedestrians, would a camera be worthwhile?

What are you going for, an Olympic Record? You finished 3rd and beat me on 2 stages so what are you complaining about? LOL

I think any opportunity to use any tool available can certainly help. The GoPro is very neat to watch yourself move through a stage but is it solely footwork you are looking to work on? Where I think a camera would be the most helpful is if you can set it up on a stage and video yourself along with a few other shooters that you feel are doing things either differently or better and look to see if you can learn something from that. Might not be able to diagnose something just from looking at yourself but if you feel X-Shooter is quicker on the reloads then set it up with the intent to capture them reloading the gun and copy their technique if possible.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    They are a good tool if you place the camera where you can see what you are doing on most of the stage.

I think the Gopro is great. You can either wear it or mount it on a tripod so you can get any view you want. It's biggest advantage to me is its wide view lens. Plus it's very small and doesn't require a suitcase to carry around.
    Comes with free downloadable editing software, which allows you to slo mo any video and see in detail what you are or are not doing correctly.
    I have one if you would be so inclined to try it out sometime to see if it works for you.

I think I have my answer :) .

Thanks for all input !!

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I've yet to understand what training value you can get from 1st person views.
    From a regular camera, you really see all your mistakes and time wasted...
    -rvb

I have a few videos provided by my legion of fans (ok, by my wife) and they have helped me see my many (shooting) flaws. The 1st person views are fun to watch because you can imagine yourself seeing the same view. However, I don't think the 1st person views are as helpful in seeing what I am doing wrong. A 1st person view doesn't show me the wasted motion in my draw or how I fumbled while pulling a mag from the pouch.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Video helps me see what I did wrong, or well in a match. Reloads, transitions, pulling shots, etc. Without video, I would have nothing to study.

Snizz1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    I agree with rvb, I've never seen value in first person vids. There's nothing wrong with them and cool to post up vids for others to watch, nothing wrong with that, but I don't think it's a great option from a training perspective.

I've not filmed my stages (with reg cam) as much as I would like. But I have at times figured out some things I've done wrong by watching match vids. I think most people feel like they are shooting/moving much faster then they really are. I've found those areas that "feel" fast but in reality are not, and worked on pushing them in practice. If I'm using match vids to criticize my performance, I want to be able to see my footwork, how I'm entering/exiting positions, wasted movement, and target transitions.

DialTone301

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    East Central IL
    I record every stage that Chloe shoots and we review them at home. I can't see how the first person vids could provide as much info for us to identify problems with.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom