• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Tonight my wife applied for her license to carry!!!! I've been "working " on her ever since I got mine... Pointing out the crime stories in the paper, how it might have been different for the victim if they were armed. Even , stories on here. She mentioned doing it about two weeks ago but I could tell she was trying to talk herself into it, but not ready yet. Well she said it again last night , and then tonight she asked how to apply. We were out eating so I told her we'd look into it when we got home. It's done & she's going for fingerprinting tomorrow ! Once she has her license, I'll get her into the NRA. I've taken her handgun "looking " but she's like me & wants a good fit to the firearm. If there's any problem it'll be that she works in a religious position that tends make her think like a pacifist... Turn the cheek & all that. Time will tell I guess.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Very cool!

I think she will be good, turning the other cheek is perfect in almost every situation but those that require the need for a firearm.

I hope she finds a good handgun and gets some even better training! Congrats to you both!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Tonight my wife applied for her license to carry!!!! I've been "working " on her ever since I got mine... Pointing out the crime stories in the paper, how it might have been different for the victim if they were armed. Even , stories on here. She mentioned doing it about two weeks ago but I could tell she was trying to talk herself into it, but not ready yet. Well she said it again last night , and then tonight she asked how to apply. We were out eating so I told her we'd look into it when we got home. It's done & she's going for fingerprinting tomorrow ! Once she has her license, I'll get her into the NRA. I've taken her handgun "looking " but she's like me & wants a good fit to the firearm. If there's any problem it'll be that she works in a religious position that tends make her think like a pacifist... Turn the cheek & all that. Time will tell I guess.

Great news! Patience does work, and I'm pleased it worked for you both. One thing to consider in re: her employment: Turning the other cheek applied to non-lethal strikes; it's not a suicide pact. No one was ever counseled to allow his or her own death or even serious bodily injury in order to remain non-violent. There is a difference between being a pacifist and being peaceable. The former, as I understand it, will not fight under any circumstance (say, for example, entering a room to find his wife or his or her child being raped) Conversely, the latter (the peaceable person) will not initiate violence, but will willingly visit it upon someone who has, to turn a phrase, bitten off more than he can chew. This has been what I've always understood to be the default expectation we should hold for our community and ourselves, while armed.... something like "Tommy", in Kenny Rogers' song, "Coward of the County": There was no cowardice in him, just a higher expectation than people could understand.

I hope this helps you, and more particularly, her, in her mindset to refuse being made a victim.

Blessings,
    Bill

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    In my civilian life, I will go to great lengths to avoid conflict. And I won't respond to violence in kind if it is in regards to my faith (which is the context of that "turn the other cheek" passage). But when my family's safety, or my ability to care for my family is in jeopardy, I will bring all my resources and energy to bear to prevent something bad from happening. My wife won't carry, but I'm working on her. I would gladly give up my right to do it if it meant she would carry. She is more at risk, and spends more time with the kids than I do. Good for you that your wife is doing this.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    As far as which firearm .. She doesn't like my XDS which I'm a little surprised cause she's just a little smaller than me. I believe she kinda had an eye on a shield. Once she gets a better idea at the gun shops, I'm going to track one down for her to practice a few rounds with. When I was shopping , I narrowed down to the XDS or a p938, and then I coon fingered THEM for month before I decided. She's in no hurry right now so it'll work out I'm sure. She's not afraid of guns as her dad took her shooting in the pits when she was young. I'm afraid she doesn't have the mindset she needs, in order to carry. I'm afraid she'll be slow to draw or not draw at all if the need arises. Neither would be good. Training , yes, that is on the horizon . We have an excellent trainer here. Guy Minnis with Warrior Dynamics. I've been & she will be going.

Top Bottom