• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This administration, by far, consists of the most anti-American, lying, cheating, thieving scumbags who have ever managed to slither their slimy way into control of this country. I sincerely hope each and every one of them reaps what they've sown. Soulless, hollow shells of human beings willing to sell anything and everything for the almighty dollar. There's no shortage of vile whores with an (R) beside their name who can join them.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Garland in a longtime Chicago machine bureaucratic hack. That Chicago's values and methods have followed people from there to dc explains much. They fit in quite well with the same crowd from Tammany.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Term limits are meaningless. It is the powers that government assumes that is the issue. That is what needs to be trimmed frequently.

I'd say term limits would greatly reduce the efficiency of the corruption machine, er, government... simply due to being booted out before "lifetime of service" parasites could take advantage of years, decades of under the table deals. I'm not saying limits would ever actually stop such things, just cause more turnover so there'd probably be less long-term deals being made.

On the other hand, term limits are always, ALWAYS going to be just a dream. The only way they could ever come into existence is by the hands of the very people who would suffer from them. Not going to happen. We the people have ZERO say in how these changes would be brought up or voted through, as not a single politician is ever going to vote against the ONLY thing they're ever good at--getting reelected so they can trade more favors under the table.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I'd say term limits would greatly reduce the efficiency of the corruption machine, er, government... simply due to being booted out before "lifetime of service" parasites could take advantage of years, decades of under the table deals. I'm not saying limits would ever actually stop such things, just cause more turnover so there'd probably be less long-term deals being made.

On the other hand, term limits are always, ALWAYS going to be just a dream. The only way they could ever come into existence is by the hands of the very people who would suffer from them. Not going to happen. We the people have ZERO say in how these changes would be brought up or voted through, as not a single politician is ever going to vote against the ONLY thing they're ever good at--getting reelected so they can trade more favors under the table.
    You underestimate the machine that is government. The person in the seat doesn't matter when the replacement is connected to all the players as much a the previous person. It's one big team. Switching the pitcher on the mound doesn't matter. What matters is the amount of power that we allow government to collect.

Limiting the number of pitches isn't changing the outcome. We have to change the rules.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    You underestimate the machine that is government. The person in the seat doesn't matter when the replacement is connected to all the players as much a the previous person. It's one big team. Switching the pitcher on the mound doesn't matter. What matters is the amount of power that we allow government to collect.

Limiting the number of pitches isn't changing the outcome. We have to change the rules.

It may even incentivize extreme behavior - short-term, no career repercussions...

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis

Can't really say you're wrong, Murph... I've said for years that politicians only have 4 loyalties each: 1) to themselves, 2) to their party, 3) to whoever is funneling them $$ at the moment, and a distant, almost not worth mentioning 4) to those who they supposedly represent. And the more power they can grab for themselves and their peers in the ruling class, the more $$ they expect to come their way. Seems to work that way in DC anyhow... Funny how so many Congresscritters get to DC with only moderate wealth to their name and in a few short years (decades for many) they have multiple millions from a position that pays in the few thousands/year. Hhhmmmm...

Leads me to a couple questions: What do you call a hundred politicians at the bottom of a lake? A good start... What do you call a thousand politicians down there?? A damned good start!!

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It may even incentivize extreme behavior - short-term, no career repercussions...
    On the purely grins and giggles "what if" for term limits actually being put in place, I'd think that the mindset might start to alter away from being able to get away with anything b/c friends in the system will cover it up/ignore it. It seems to me that being a career politician by and large requires a near total lack of moral character and complete willingness to say exactly what others want to hear regardless of logic or truth being ignored. Maybe not ALL of them, but I'm thinking the VAST majority fit those descriptions.

What would actually happen to the type of person attracted to those positions if "career" and "politician" could no longer go together?? Would more honest people end up in politics??? I sincerely doubt we'll ever get to see the answer to those questions in real life, but as a dream it would be really interesting to see happen.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    What would actually happen to the type of person attracted to those positions if "career" and "politician" could no longer go together?? Would more honest people end up in politics???
    If you haven't seen it, I recommend watching "Man of the Year" with Robin Williams. There is one line that he says in that movie that has always stuck with me. "Nobody makes it to this level without owing somebody something." (Paraphrasing as best I can.)

Top Bottom