Iron sights in low light, your experience?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fastang50

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Fishing for input here, tried a little experiment last night doing some dry fire practice. Looking for a poorly lit area into a darker area, irons were nearly useless. It took me what felt like a long time to line things up. Using a "large" appeature helped a bit but I'm sure sight picture was actually pretty poor. This was with an AR and a mini 14. Red dot was dramatically different, but that's not the point.

Is this experience typical? Thanks.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Yeah, I'd say it's typical. You loose your irons in low light. Hunters notice this around dawn and sunset. The amount of light required is a bit fuzzy and depends on your eyes and the contrast of the target with the sights. There are various ways to address the issue (lights, night sights, red dots, night vision, etc.).

However, in addition to having a way to align your gun with your target, you also have to be able to identify the target itself. Having a way to align your firearm without having a way to positively identify the target is a recipe for potential disaster.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    It's normal. Some guys try and change a color on the site tip or other ways but in the end you still have to find what you are shooting at and then lock on it.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Since very few hunters actually take game at past 200 yards on a routine basis, I never thought scopes were really need, at least in reasonable light conditions. Scopes do really improve things in very low light conditions. Since the bigger the front lens, the brighter the scope, I think the front lens size is more important than magnification. With a 3-9 or 4-16 scope power scope, I do most shooting at 3 or 4 power, getting the light and the wide field of view.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The quickest/cheapest way to help alleviate this issue is a dab of paint or nail polish on the front sight. I've got a bottle of some kind of "Xtreme no chip" nail polish and then a bottle of glow in the dark I put over it. Total cost was something like $6. Enough to probably cover all the sights I am likely to ever own. If this is a primary defensive arm I would recommend Night Sights, or a quality red dot, but if you can't afford them or it's more of a fun gun then paint is awesome.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    :+1: just because it's too dark to see standard sights doesn't mean its too dark to positively identify a target. Obviously a red dot would be a better alternative but tritium sight posts are amazing.

Yep. This is why I have an XS Big Dot tritium front bead on my HD 870.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    but that's not the point.

Is this experience typical? Thanks.
    The bigger question would be what is your need? Yes it is typical and it will be worse if the setting or rising sun is in your face or coming in at angle to your eyes. Also, when looking into a darker patch, a red dot can look like Mars suddenly appeared in your face and you will see nothing except a red dot shinning back at you with black behind it and maybe shadows running around. Even at close ranges and your "night" vision is screwed for a brief moment as well.

If you are thinking HD and close range use, add a light and shoot your rifle like a shotgun, eyes on the target. You won't miss if you can see the target and your eyes are truly on it. Yes, you need to use proper technique and aim and shoot but you don't have to see your sights perfectly.

This can work with shotgun, carbine or handgun but a lot of people just get hung up on seeing their sights clearly. The best example is the failure of thinking they need ghost sights and fully tactical front and rear sights on a shotgun for typical HD distances. You don't even need it at 50 yards so why at close range?

You mount your gun, flip on the light, your peripheral vision picks up your muzzle, your brain does the rest and you let them have it. Tritium front sights make it even better.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The way I have the light mounted on my AR, it lights up the front sight. Look through the rear aperture, and you can see the front sight plain as day. Just as well is if you had the lights on.

Top Bottom