• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I picked up a couple of jugs of BR5 from GIBrass.com last fall and finally got around to testing some out. Jeff says it’s a similar burn rate as Unique and ca;use the same data. I loaded some up in .32/20, .38 Special, and .45 colt along with an equal amount of unique. Chronograph showed the BR5 to be considerably slower and in the small amount of rounds I loaded, extremely position sensitive. I emailed Jeff about it and he said that since it’s a double based powder, it should be loaded to 80% load density. Well, I did some measuring tonight and there’s no way I’m loading to 80% in most of the cases I tried! I guess I’ll just load some cartridges up with ever increasing charges to see how close I can get to my unique velocities while still being safe.
    I was just curious if any9ne here had any experience with this powder.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have not used it. I'm running W244 right now. Supposed to have a burn rate similar to Unique also. It's a ball powder so the loading density is low. I like it so far. I've loaded 9mm, .45ACP, .38 Special so far and made a 12 gauge load up also.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Ive got some test loads ready in .45 Colt. Hopping to get to the range today with my Chrono and get some data from a 4-5/8” Ruger Blackhawk and my 1894 Marlin. I was going to load up some increasing loads in 38 special but ran out of time…

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom