• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    My little AMT backup has 2 safety's. The thumb safety when engaged blocks the sear against the cocked hammer from the left side. The grip safety does the same thing from the right side. The sear is jammed against the hammer's notch and cannot be lifted by the trigger mechanism without steel being broken somewhere. My brother has a 1940's era 1911 colt that seems very similar.
    The manual for the amt says to never carry it with a round loaded. It's likewise all over the internet..... Never carry this particular firearm loaded! I have carried it loaded for years without a problem, just like my brother does with his 1911 colt.
    I do understand that old 1911's (without firing pin block) have a reputation for accidental discharge, but I believe that is because of the exposed hammer. Every time you decock you run the risk of slipping and letting the hammer drop. The AMT has concealed hammer, there is no way to decock short of dropping the hammer.
    Is it more dangerous to carry my little amt cocked and locked than it is to carry the .45 the same way as is the universal common practice? if so why? the safety's seem to both work the same way. who would be comfortable with packing the .380 in condition 1? who would not? do you guys with the older 1911's carry cocked and locked?

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Yes. Carry it with one in the chamber if you would any other gun. When the gun companies put that in their manuals or on their sites it is strictly for CYA purposes, nothing more.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    if you have it in a proper holster with nothing potentially entering the trigger guard, and your finger is off the bang switch, you should be g2g.

Also, make sure you safety check any time the gun is cleaned/lubed.

1911's don't just accidentally fire either, regardless of the firing pin block. It takes guite a fall directly to the muzzle to make the firing pin move in the channel.

Also, a hammer should never be lowered onto a chambered round, or an empty chamber for that matter. Its bad on the hammer/sear contact points.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Hmm. Seems a good place to ask this. Any opinions here on a Condition 1 70 series 1911?

I'm thinking of getting a Rock Island, and it'll be a Series 70 style. So no firing pin safety. I'm concerned that it may not be quite drop safe. Figure I can replace the firing pin spring with a stiffer one and maybe replace the firing pin with a lighter one. Anybody have an opinion on that?

(Not to derail thread; just figured I wouldn't create a duplicate 1911 carry mode thread. Thanks for understanding, OP.)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    BlueEagle, my pop carried the 1911 in my original post all through WW2 in condition 1. Now my brother does the same thing. They would both tell you to just be dang careful or "you'll shoot your eye out!"

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'm less worried about accidentally shooting my eyes than I am about shooting my thigh.

Although now that I think about it, if I put a stronger trigger spring on it, (based on what I am reading,) the only thing I have to worry about would be a drop straight-down onto a hard surface. Which, if it does that, its already pointing in the safest direction possible, (assuming I don't do this on the 2nd or higher floor.)

I just like to verify with people and talk things over before I do anything. Better safe than sorry, eh?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Series 80 firing pin safeties can be problematic.

Saw a one owner Gold Cup stainless skip one off the range floor (halfway downrange) during slide drop.

Plunger burr (made over time, had thousand plus shots through it) locked the firing pin fwd after last shot in practice. Shooter didn't know it until league time.

It was then converted to 70's style. No problems since.

Last edited:

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've heard of issues with the 80s series trigger mechanisms, and that it can make a difference in trigger feel. I'm not a competitive shooter, so the minute differences in trigger pull are not going to bother me, but anything that complicates or possibly causes issues with the gun is one thing I can do without.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    It takes a fall from 6ft directly straight down on a standard firing pin spring. If you don't trust it, drop it unloaded and find out.

If you are THAT worried about it, get a glock. It is impossible to fire unless the trigger is pulled, pretty much regardless of what is done to it.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    It takes a fall from 6ft directly straight down on a standard firing pin spring. If you don't trust it, drop it unloaded and find out.

If you are THAT worried about it, get a glock. It is impossible to fire unless the trigger is pulled, pretty much regardless of what is done to it.

Got two. ;) Thanks for the recommendation though.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    full auto, you are answering yes, Are you saying that yes it is more dangerous to carry the amt cocked and locked than the 1911, or are you saying that you carry a 1911 cocked and locked?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    sigrome, I am a gun owner and I am safe. I want opinions on the safety of this specific gun. I would be comfortable carrying the colt in condition 1. I have read several places that the amt isn't safe to do this. I am looking for an explanation as to why.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    It is called, Condition 1

If you can control your index finger and you use the safety,

tax, tag and title not included, void where prohibited, you must be at least 18 to enter :D

Top Bottom