Is it legal for an accessory to cover serial number?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Is it legql to have an removable accessory on a gun that completely covers the (intact and unaltered) serial number.

In particular, a Remington 870 Express has the serial on the left side of the reciever, where the side saddle shell holder is commonly mounted. They make a lower capacity holder to show the number, but...

Would it be legal to use the full capacity holder that covers the number?

The number would not be "altered or obliterated" but would require tools to access...

:dunno:

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I'd assume that as long as the serial number is still accessable that you'd be fine. It's not like you have to register a shotgun, so the serial number really doesn't come into play.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    If you put an accessory on the accessory rail of a Springfield XD, it completely covers the serial number. If I had to guess I'd say its legal so long as it is removable. Like I said though, that's a GUESS.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Browning Hi-powers would also have an issue with wrap around grips. I dont think that you cannot cover the numbers up, only that you cannot alter or remove the numbers from the receiver.

acss502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Central
    I'm with frost. I had a light on my HK that covered my frame s/n. My wifes uncle is a police officer and didnt mention it (and he's the type of guy that would if it was illegal)

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Now, in the case of a PTR91 where the serial number was idiotically placed along the top of the receiver, if you wanted to weld a scope rail to the top, you would have to notch it out to ensure the serial number was visible, since welding the rail on is considered a permanent alteration. I still haven't found complete proof that I can't move the serial number to the mag well...

Top Bottom