Is it possible to convert a Beretta 96FS to shoot 9mm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Hello! I recently purchased a Beretta 96FS. I am a huge fan of Beretta's 96 & 92 style handguns. The only problem is that I would rather have a 9mm instead of .40 S&W. A friend of mine has a 92A1. I'm no expert, but they look dang near identical. Is it possible to get a 9mm conversion kit? If possible, what would you all recommend?

Thanks!
    John

*EDIT* - I did some searching from my phone and found kits to convert to .22lr. I also found a kit to convert a 92 to 96 but not vice versa. Is there any reason a 92new could host a 96 but not the other way around? :dunno:

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I know that Beretta made a 92/96 Combo kit that had one frame and a 9mm barrel and slide, and a .40S&W barrel and slide. I believe, but don't quote me, that there is a very slight difference in the bullet guide between the two calibers, but guessing that it must not make much of a difference if Beretta did sell a combo kit.

I do know for a fact though that the slides and barrels are interchangeable between the two calibers. I believe that even the locking block is the same for either. Would guess the only other difference would be the recoil spring (obviously :) )

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    sell the 96 and buy a 92 if 9mm is what you want. Or better yet just buy a used 92 and keep the 96.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    All you need is a barrel, complete slide, guide rod, spring and magazines from a 92f or fs. The frame of the pistol is the same. I have an Italian 92fs that I purchased in '89, then later on purchase a 96g upper, switch back and forth when needed. The problem is finding a dealer that sells just those parts. I bought mine on Ebay when Ebay was worth buying stuff on. I think CDNN also used to carry the 92/96 swap uppers also.

krvincen

Marksman
    Rating - 90.9%
    10   1   0
    May 20, 2011
    Osceola
    If you can find and upper that would be sweet, or another used in 9mm. That duo-tone looks great!! (I'm the one with the G34 glocktoys was offering in trade! ;) ).

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I actually have both a 96 and a 92. With the 9mm barrel and the 9mm mag in 96 frame and slide, everything works fine. Even the recoil springs are the same rate. I use 15 lb wolfe springs on both, stock is 13 lb on both. Evidently the extractor has enough range of movement to work effectively on the smaller 9mm case. The 9mm rounds can actually feed out of the .40 mags, but the bolt catch does not work right.

Doing the math, A millimeter is about .039". Figure one 1/2 that distance from the center of the firing pin to the extractor edge. That leaves you with less than .020" difference. In a barrel, that is a big problem, for a spring loaded pivoting hook extractor, that is not even stretching its normal movement.

I am all for the suggestion posted above, just buy another Beretta. Three 92's, a Brigider Elite and a 96 have all served well and never gave me a reason to not trust them.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I actually have both a 96 and a 92. With the 9mm barrel and the 9mm mag in 96 frame and slide, everything works fine. Even the recoil springs are the same rate. I use 15 lb wolfe springs on both, stock is 13 lb on both. Evidently the extractor has enough range of movement to work effectively on the smaller 9mm case. The 9mm rounds can actually feed out of the .40 mags, but the bolt catch does not work right.

Doing the math, A millimeter is about .039". Figure one 1/2 that distance from the center of the firing pin to the extractor edge. That leaves you with less than .020" difference. In a barrel, that is a big problem, for a spring loaded pivoting hook extractor, that is not even stretching its normal movement.

I am all for the suggestion posted above, just buy another Beretta. Three 92's, a Brigider Elite and a 96 have all served well and never gave me a reason to not trust them.

I would be extremely happy if all I had to do was buy a 9mm barrel and mag. If I have to get a complete slide it would probably be better to just buy a used Beretta 92. Can anyone else verify Leo's statement?

Top Bottom