• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have my red dot mounted to the rail on my receiver but it's hanging over onto the handguard rail. Good to go or is that going to cause a problem? IMG_20210902_104044.jpg

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Not a problem to overhang the rail. The position of your red dot is personal preference based upon your ability to get a clear feild of view. However, it looks as if you have your rear back up iron sight mounted pretty far forward. I run mine as far back as possible so long as it does not interfere with me getting to the charging handle. This helps provide the longest sight radius possible.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yeah I think the buis is coming off. If I put it behind the magnifier, then the magnifier interferes with the caps on the aimpoint. I am also running the magnifier as far back as I can to get a field of view that feels good.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    OP,

If your optic mount is actually TOUCHING the handguard picatinny in any way, I'd move the mount back or get a new mount. It's not a good situation when you bridge your upper to the handguard with any sort of mount. There is always movement between the upper and handguard...keep that in mind (unless it's a monolithic upper).

I agree with ACC...move your iron sight back as far as possible, without interfering with your charging handle. Then move the red dot back, until you aren't bridging the upper/handguard gap.

Having the red dot far forward does help you acquire your target, but bridging the upper/handguard gap is where I'd draw the line.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Here is the full setup. If i move the magnifier back one slot, there is just enough room for one finger to get into the charging handle handle. If I move it forward, it will get in the way of the flip caps on the aimpoint. Maybe I should just not worry about the caps or remove them.

Attachments

• IMG_20210902_124620.jpg
      IMG_20210902_124620.jpg
      988.6 KB · Views: 47

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Here is the full setup. If i move the magnifier back one slot, there is just enough room for one finger to get into the charging handle handle. If I move it forward, it will get in the way of the flip caps on the aimpoint. Maybe I should just not worry about the caps or remove them.
    Yeah ... ditch the flip up caps and get a bikini type scope cover or large Ranger band to cover the lenses.

On a static range, you can get away with "just enough room" ... under a competition or other stressful situation, you want to EASILY get to the charging handle without any fumbling.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Yeah ... ditch the flip up caps and get a bikini type scope cover or large Ranger band to cover the lenses.

On a static range, you can get away with "just enough room" ... under a competition or other stressful situation, you want to EASILY get to the charging handle without any fumbling.
    Thanks, that's what I figured. I want to be able to charge it easily. I'll look into the bikini covers.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Dump the cover on the magnifier and the rear cap on the aimpoint. Move the aimpoint back, or if it can't go back far enough, get a cantilever mount that will keep the mount solely on the receiver rails.

I'd probably flip the magnifier mount or replace it, because you do not want anything interfering with the charging handle.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Lose all the covers.

Bring the RDS back off the handguard.

Close up the distance between the magnifier and RDS.

Mount BUIS as far back as possible, ditch the BUIS if there's insufficient room. If you really need to, you can buy a cantilever-type 30mm mount for the RDS to hang it a little forward of the receiver.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Move the RDS back. In addition to what others have said, even the flip cap can probably be operated by flipping the magnifier to the side and out of the way. I would still get rid of the caps though.

Also get a wider ambidextrous charging handle like the Radian Raptor to provide easy access.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    6856495D-37A4-491E-9794-BF95B6B118A9.jpeg
    Here’s what my Eotech setup looks like. With 4 spaces between the sight and the buis there is room for the magnifier, flip it to side and irons can flip up. Actually have two rifles with an Eotech, magnifier swaps between the two, only one has the pro series irons which are much nicer if room to get to your charging handle is an issue.

Not sure if you could change your mounts to give you this much room on top or not but thought I’d share what is possible.

Top Bottom