• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    I bought the Lee O frame yesterday... just made a 2x8 into a portable mount for it so I can use it on the coffee table, or my desk, or where ever I'm allowed to work that day.

0SXp1.jpg

Now I just need to order some brass and bullets. -- Speaking of bullets, I'm looking for recommendations on bullets for 45-70... I've found the following sites, but I'm not sure which to go with. So far, it's down to Moyer's, Meister, and Midstates cast bullets.

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    I too want to get into reloading and was thinking about a setup similar to yours. Thanks for sharing the picture of your setup! If for some reason you are ever unhappy with your choices for bullets, check out Powder Valley Inc. at www.powdervalleyinc.com. They seem to offer the lowest prices in the calibers I am thinking about reloading for.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I too used a single stage when i first got started. After i felt i was proficient enough reloading i graduated to a Dillon progressive for pistol cartridges. I still utilize the single stage for precision rifle cartridges along with a RCBS Chargemaster. Congratulations to you for getting into reloading. Definitely a choice you'll be happy you made.

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    I too want to get into reloading and was thinking about a setup similar to yours. Thanks for sharing the picture of your setup! If for some reason you are ever unhappy with your choices for bullets, check out Powder Valley Inc. at www.powdervalleyinc.com. They seem to offer the lowest prices in the calibers I am thinking about reloading for.

I haven't really made a choice on bullets.. looking for suggestions though!

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    Evening folks... spent my afternoon playing with my reloading kit.. managed to get an entire 2 rounds made.. ROFL -- those bullet pullers come in handy! I primer'd and prepped 20 rounds total, and put another 50 in the tumbler... but I didn't get too much farther than that.

I managed to run a round through the wrong die and seat a bullet almost flush, too.. that was impressive. I'm still trying get my bullet seating and crimp right.. it's hard for me being a newbie to tell on the lead cast bullets since I keep shaving a little lead off when seating... :b

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    Managed to make 2 mistakes tonight.. while adjusting the bullet seating die I partially crushed a case... I assume that one is ruined... I've been having issues figuring out the correct adjustment on that die... but I think I have it straight now.

My biggest issue was not opening the mouth of the case enough... and since I'm not only new to this, but also using lead, it was hard for me to see the crimp line on the bullet...

Gotta start somewhere, right!? I got another 20 rounds loaded this afternoon.. haven't shot any of them yet, but I'm excited to try them out!!

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Managed to make 2 mistakes tonight.. while adjusting the bullet seating die I partially crushed a case... I assume that one is ruined... I've been having issues figuring out the correct adjustment on that die... but I think I have it straight now.

My biggest issue was not opening the mouth of the case enough... and since I'm not only new to this, but also using lead, it was hard for me to see the crimp line on the bullet...

Gotta start somewhere, right!? I got another 20 rounds loaded this afternoon.. haven't shot any of them yet, but I'm excited to try them out!!

Back the die out quite a ways. Then run ram and case all the way up. Bring die down till feel it touch. After that move in 1/8 to 1/4 turns. I go by feel of the case, it will be smoother with out edge. If your doing a taper crimp it's easier to see. Even then I crunched some 45acp's on first set-up. Case mouth is the same but keep lowering until bullet just starts a little.

tonhe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Elkhart
    I have the Honady 325gr FTX, some Oregon Trail laser cast 350gr, and Barnes 250gr -- so far I've only loaded 10 of the laser cast.... waiting to test these out.

Top Bottom