• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 84VETTE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Salem
    Im starting to refinish my model 36 and I need some advice on removing the thumbpiece and nut. It's the only part I have never had to remove but it needs to come off so I dont have to work around it. It is the old style of thumbpiece with the cap screw.

Thanks,
    84VETTE

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    To remove the thumbpiece, just find a screwdriver that fits perfectly, so as to not marr the screw, and unscrew counter-clockwise. The screw will come out and the thumbpiece just lifts off.

SteveG66

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Good luck and take your time with it, you'll do fine. This reminds me, I need to take mine off mine to lube the internals.

Good Luck.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I am reviving an old thread because some of the information on it is pertinent to my question. My father in law has recently purchased a used S&W 629 that doesn't have the thumbpiece to release the cylinder. I have found the replacement parts but from looking at it the actual stud to screw the nut onto is broken off completely. I have looked everywhere online but am getting too many returns to make it through all of them. Any help would be great, even though it looks like a trip to S&W is in order. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom