• ...and so much more!
  • Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    According to the Range Officer there, they are going to be renovating that range. Concrete pads, roofs over benches, etc. He didn't mention timeline. Anyone have info on that?
    It's been rumored for years but I have never read anything official. If they do renovate it like the others, my fear is that they will eliminate the 200 yd range.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Hmm, I wonder if this will follow the standard DNR "improvements" (Kingsbury, Willow Slough, Atterbury, etc...) or if the plan more limited as at Winamac.

As rough as JP is, I'd hate to lose another no-fee shooting range to the system. This was the only place where I could practice some limited movement w/ a handgun. :crying:
    I like the range setup at Winamac. I would shoot there more often but it's kinda far for me.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Winamac is nicer for shooting rifles from a bench, though the 200y lane is only a single position. I don't mind laying in the grass but others do. Winamac doesn't have any positions shorter than 25y, which can be be difficult for a new pistol shooter.

The variety of each range in the area is great. I'm not able to find any details about the rehabilitation project, but I'm hoping we can keep some of their unique flavors.

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment
    Hmm, I wonder if this will follow the standard DNR "improvements" (Kingsbury, Willow Slough, Atterbury, etc...) or if the plan more limited as at Winamac.

As rough as JP is, I'd hate to lose another no-fee shooting range to the system. This was the only place where I could practice some limited movement w/ a handgun. :crying:

Yeah, that's my fear as well. They'll doll it up and then bring in a firm to "operate" it, like they did to Willow Slough.
    To the injury of charging for what was previously free, they added the insult of using an out of state company to run it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/threads/paying-to-use-willow-slough.422217/#post-6737298

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The pictures at the beginning of this thread are the first I had ever seen the JP range.Only ever heard about it. I think I will stick with the Winamac range. Just my opinion, Winamac is much nicer.

As long as it has a berm and an area to shoot from, I don't see the issue. I also don't understand shooting from a bench, though, it's just not my thing.

Last edited:

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Winamac is nicer for shooting rifles from a bench, though the 200y lane is only a single position. I don't mind laying in the grass but others do. Winamac doesn't have any positions shorter than 25y, which can be be difficult for a new pistol shooter.

The variety of each range in the area is great. I'm not able to find any details about the rehabilitation project, but I'm hoping we can keep some of their unique flavors.

There had been talk of adding a 15 yard range at Winamac for pistol, but covid hit and the talk sort of died?

Top Bottom