• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I am currently building an AR10 in .243 Winchester as a long range rifle. I have a stash of bullets in the 70-75gr range that I will be starting with, but looking to jump up to something around 100gr. The only powders I have for it at the moment are stick powders (Varget, etc.). I typically use an older RCBS universal powder measure to get close and then trickle a few grains to finish the charge. The stick powders as most know don't like to meter very well and was looking for something that might meter better to smooth out the process.

The rifle has a 24" barrel with a 1/8 twist and I am looking to work up some heavier bullet loads as well (70-110gr). I would like to be able to use the same powder for that range if possible.

What types of spherical powders does everyone like for precision rifle rounds if any? Accurate 2700 looks interesting.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    IMR 4064 is listed in my manual with the 100 grain bullets.
    do not use this for a load recommendation since it is off the top of my head but I believe it is 36 grains and should get 3000 FPS.

Not what you were looking for in an answer as it is a very old school powder. Thing is this one works well with 223 to 308/30-06.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    IMR 4064 is listed in my manual with the 100 grain bullets.
    do not use this for a load recommendation since it is off the top of my head but I believe it is 36 grains and should get 3000 FPS.

Not what you were looking for in an answer as it is a very old school powder. Thing is this one works well with 223 to 308/30-06.
    I think I have some 4064 that I inherited from the Father in law. I will probably work thru what I have initially. I was looking at StaBALL 6.5 and it seems interesting for the range of bullet weights I am wanting to run.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Your doing it right with the varget. Precision, and not trickle charging, don't mix, and trickling is just as easy with stick as it is ball.
    If the charge weight is say 40.6 grains then I would throw a 39-40 grain charge with the RCBS uniflow and then go to the scale and finish with the trickler. Ball is just easier than stick for the uniflow. Cutting extruded powder isn't ideal for loading 50-100 rounds and I hate scooping it then trickling the rest. It's a small difference but it annoys me for some reason.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If the charge weight is say 40.6 grains then I would throw a 39-40 grain charge with the RCBS uniflow and then go to the scale and finish with the trickler. Ball is just easier than stick for the uniflow. Cutting extruded powder isn't ideal for loading 50-100 rounds and I hate scooping it then trickling the rest. It's a small difference but it annoys me for some reason.

I agree its a pain, but its the cost of precision.

Also it will depend on your definition of "precision". If 2 MOA is your definition, then ball will be fine.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    Get a RCBS Chargemaster Lite. I picked one up on a Black Friday deal from Midsouth for ~$129 I think. That think is flipping sweet for load development.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've been using W760. We load 58 to 100 grain bullets for a Mossberg Predator and my Ruger No 1. Trickle charge in the last half grain or so. Speer #14 manual has my loads as well as the Hornady online manual.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    Following this thread as I picked up a TC Venture in .243 last year and it is a very accurate rifle shooting factory ammo. Picked up a set of dies for Christmas and I am looking at powders and will probably load 85 to 100 grain bullets for groundhogs and whitetail.

Some good starter ideas here already as I am hoping to work up some good handloads to wring out the best of this rifle

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I've been using W760. We load 58 to 100 grain bullets for a Mossberg Predator and my Ruger No 1. Trickle charge in the last half grain or so. Speer #14 manual has my loads as well as the Hornady online manual.
    I use the same method for most of my rifle rounds. I happened upon Winchesters new StaBALL 6.5. It's claimed as the first temperature insensitive ball powder. Velocities look good and being able to smoothly meter and trickle the last half grain or so like you said. I might give it a try once I get the barrel broke in.

Top Bottom