Just found out I'm now in the "Deer Reduction Zone", what just changed for me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I live around Fort Wayne and was showing a guy at work some trail camera footage and he mentioned to me that they changed the boundaries of the deer reduction zone. It never occurred to me to even look at that since it's never covered my backyard anyway. Well... now it does and there's a whole new set of rules I get to play by I suppose.

So, from what I've read now it looks like I have to take a doe before I can get a buck. I'm familiar with the "earn a buck" type program from years ago hunting in Wisconsin, but the doe are few and far between in my neck of the woods and the bucks aren't. This may have just hosed me.

As I understand it, the deer reduction season is going on right now, so if I wanted to, I could be out in a stand right now. Are there any other details or issues I need to be aware of for deer hunting in the deer reduction zones? I think I still have to follow the seasons about using guns during gun season, and bows during bow seasons it's just that my seasons just got a lot longer. Can anyone expand on this?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not to advocate fraud, but do deer have GPS onboard? Sure you didnt harvest that buck in the woods away from the exclusion zone? ;)

But barring fraud, It sounds like you are hosed if you are without does in your AO.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    There's no way I could get to non-deer reduction zone land and just drag it back. I'm an ugly guy, but still way too handsome to go to jail and I'd have to cross a river to make it happen. I could see why a guy would just call in a doe and write down the check in #, but I don't think the law looks at that kindly either. I might really be hosed on this deal if I don't bag a doe first. This sucks.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Zone rules like earn a buck only apply to hunters using the extra benefits of said zone: two total bucks, longer seasons, etc. if you are hunting during "normal" seasons, nothing changes.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Awesome. I'm going to call the DNR just so I can hear it straight from the horses mouth and ask all my questions there. Ideally, I'd just like to get a buck and a doe, but I don't like being restricted to getting one before the other.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I'm in an urban zone and thought it was good at first. However, now I really dislike it. The season is very long and I don't see a whole lot of deer.

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I'm in an urban zone and thought it was good at first. However, now I really dislike it. The season is very long and I don't see a whole lot of deer.

I'd be happy to have a place to hunt before October 1st. In the meantime we just run trail cams in our regular area, zero bows/crossbows/guns and try to make sure we're in relatively good shape.

Top Bottom