• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    i owned the p11 which i think is the first gen of the keltec pocket 9mms. that thing took 700rnds to shoot reliable. after that it was good though.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I know you stated you had ftf with other ammo as well, but my first red flag was the rws ammo. Others may have had better luck with it so I am not completely bashing it, but I have seen many issues with this ammo having ftf. This is not hearsay, but personal experience with rws at the range repeated ftf from several different firearms. I noticed the majority of your problems came from this ammo. I would personally try another range trip with a couple hundred more rounds of ammo other than rws. Just my opinion.

I am also very interested in how this all turns out for you. I know someone looking into a pf9 and would like to know how this turns out. Best of luck with your new firearm!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Glock does not make a gun that can compete with the PF-9 as far as size is concerned. And if they did make one it would not be importable.

I know you mentioned the RWS ammo, that ammo is infamous for having very hard primers. The other ammo used should have been ok but I have seen a growing number of complaints about the generic ammo from Wal-Marts in all brands. I don't know if improper storage is a problem with them or if there are other problems.

I still feel a trip back to the factory is called for, make sure you tell them a call tag is needed, shipping should not be on your dime.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    What is some ammo that is known for soft primers
    Glock does not make a gun that can compete with the PF-9 as far as size is concerned. And if they did make one it would not be importable.

I know you mentioned the RWS ammo, that ammo is infamous for having very hard primers. The other ammo used should have been ok but I have seen a growing number of complaints about the generic ammo from Wal-Marts in all brands. I don't know if improper storage is a problem with them or if there are other problems.

I still feel a trip back to the factory is called for, make sure you tell them a call tag is needed, shipping should not be on your dime.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    My PF9 has been a great conceal carry gun, which is why I got it. Kicks like a mule when shooting, but I won't be concerned about that should I really have a need to use it.

sshelton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    ECI / New Castle
    Picked up a pf9 on Thursday, shot around 25 rounds of federal, loves eating that and 25 rounds of sellier and bellot, had 1 ftf with that stuff, but I'm way off target at 25 yards was like 12" right I need more range time before I plan on cc.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    FTF

Was it a soft primer hit? I switched to s and b and had no issues either....It has been running perfectly...
    Picked up a pf9 on Thursday, shot around 25 rounds of federal, loves eating that and 25 rounds of sellier and bellot, had 1 ftf with that stuff, but I'm way off target at 25 yards was like 12" right I need more range time before I plan on cc.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana

Bench it on a good rest and see if it still shoots right. If so just adjust the rear sight, no big deal. If I recall correctly I had to adjust mine slightly to bring it to POA. Amazingly the 22 conversion was spot on.

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    The grip sleeves work well, I just hate adding the addition thickness to a pocket gun. You might consider using the sleeve at the range but carrying it naked, you'll never notice the recoil in a gunfight.

I just put a "ranger-band" on the grip of my PF-9 and it made it fit my large hands much better. I agree that the grip sleeves have no place on a pocket gun.

wallotcorydon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corydon
    I have a PF9 and had no issues that were the weapons fault. I have had a couple of FTE's but I am contributing those to limp wristing. After firing 100 or so rounds through it in a day, I tend to get a little jumpy due to the recoil. I love mine....

jdg0724

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Plainfield
    I think a lot of problems that people have with these guns is due to limp-wristing. It takes a lot of practice for some to get to the point where they can shoot well with these small guns. Once you get used to them, I have found them to be great guns. I also dry fire a lot with snap caps and that has helped me a lot with this gun. i shoot mine very accurately and have never had any problems with it. There are always going to be problems with every make and model of gun. I honestly believe that (some) people create a lot of the problems with these guns when they modify them.

iwork4pepsi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I recently purchased a PF9 for my 19 year old son to carry (thanks stupid Indiana law)and after 150 flawless rounds, he experienced a FTF. After inspection of the primer, which had a perfect indent, similar to the spent rounds, and trying to re-fire it through another 9mm on the range, we eliminated the pistol as the blame. After another cleaning and 100 more rounds, its been good to go!

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I tried to take back my pf-9 yesterday but the gunshop owner wants me to send it in. He talked about how guns are mass produced and each one cannot have a personal "going over". He stated that the gun would be "perfect" if I send it in to get work done on it. My problems:
    - extractor spring screw backed out which allowed the firing pin to eject backwards toward me.
    - intermittent failure to extract (which has gotten better with more rounds)
    I don't mean to make enemies but if I had to do it over I would never buy this pistol neither would I recommend to anyone.
    I'm going to the range this morning to put another 100 through it. Last night I had to keep tightening up the extractor spring screw. Lock tight has been recommended but the end of this screw interacts with the firing pin, so I'll need to be careful with that. I have bought several new guns in my life and never had these issues. I think it's natural to defend a pistol that you choose to carry. It sucks having someone put your gun down. I can get over that if the gun becomes trustworthy for me.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I tried to take back my pf-9 yesterday but the gunshop owner wants me to send it in. He talked about how guns are mass produced and each one cannot have a personal "going over". He stated that the gun would be "perfect" if I send it in to get work done on it. My problems:
    - extractor spring screw backed out which allowed the firing pin to eject backwards toward me.
    - intermittent failure to extract (which has gotten better with more rounds)
    I don't mean to make enemies but if I had to do it over I would never buy this pistol neither would I recommend to anyone.
    I'm going to the range this morning to put another 100 through it. Last night I had to keep tightening up the extractor spring screw. Lock tight has been recommended but the end of this screw interacts with the firing pin, so I'll need to be careful with that. I have bought several new guns in my life and never had these issues. I think it's natural to defend a pistol that you choose to carry. It sucks having someone put your gun down. I can get over that if the gun becomes trustworthy for me.
    I'd call or contact KelTec before doing anything else.
    It could just be a batch of retaining screws that are a little out of spec.
    I'll have to say I've had NO issues with any S&B ammo in any caliber. I original bought it because it burned so clean in my 1911s. It's also a very accurate ammo for me in almost all my guns. ALMOST I say.
    It's hard to call "Limp Wristing" on the smaller guns. They kick like a mule as noted but the hand grip has to be firmer or they're going to have issues.
    When my golf game suffers I get out the video cam and visualize my mechanics to find my problems.
    I do the same thing IF I'm having an issue shooting.
    I recently taped my neighbor having issues with his XD45. Gee, it was amazing in slow motion to see how much the gun moved around when firing it. Wrist was locked fine but his grip suffered. The XD doesn't fit his big bulky hands.
    I had him shoot two handed and video'd him. NO FTE FTF at all.
    After that he gripped the XD more securely and no more issues. Small guns are hard to control.
    I carry a little Keltec as "plan B" and totally trust my life to it. My GF's parents are totally anti-handgun. They have shotguns but they freak out when I carry so I carry the Keltec when we visit. They don't know and I don't tell.

Top Bottom