• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's been awhile since this was discussed(over a year ago). I am considering buying one of these two.
    1. I want a 4" barrel
    2. <$1000 budget
    3. Some CC
    4. Interested in IDPA though I have never done it and would be doing it for fun and to be proficient with my gun. Not to win trophies

Any suggestions and/or opinions? I have a line on both of these under $850 new.

acss502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Central
    Sounds like you and I are looking for the same type of 1911. Where are you getting these for less than 850 (if you dont mind me asking)?

Both are sweet guns and I'm sure you'd be happy with either. Are you looking for steel or aluminum frame? Checkering? Night sights? I think the TLE comes with all and is a steel frame. If you plan carry more though, may go aluminum and add features you like!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Sounds like you and I are looking for the same type of 1911. Where are you getting these for less than 850 (if you dont mind me asking)?

Both are sweet guns and I'm sure you'd be happy with either. Are you looking for steel or aluminum frame? Checkering? Night sights? I think the TLE comes with all and is a steel frame. If you plan carry more though, may go aluminum and add features you like!

Aluminum vs. Steel is what is hanging me up mostly on decision. Front checkering would be nice but not a deal breaker. $50 difference between the two. In Lafayette is where I am looking. I really don't know how much I will actually carry on my person vs. having in car.

acss502

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Central
    I want to say the weight difference (unloaded) is only 8oz. I haven't had any issues in the past with aluminum frames; I've only heard stories. My dad has a Colt with an aluminum frame he's had for years without ever having a problem.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    45 choice

I have both and prefer to carry the Pro. I have never had an issue with a Kimber aluminum frame. I have several. I carry the Pro Carry or Ultra carry mostly. I have a Gold Match that allows me to get real serious at the target range.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't let the steel vs alloy issue make my decision. With a good belt and holster you won't be able to tell the difference.

I would go with the TLE.

I see your in Lafayette. Do you have any of these I could feel and touch? I have to order the tle sight unseen and i'm a little nervous because I have to take it if he orders it. I have handled the cdp and I like it okay.though its a little on the light side. I was just looking at specs and noticed the kimbers are 1/4 inch shorter than some others. Does this matter? I'm not a big guy.

Bap1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    NE Indy
    Last year I was having the same/similar debate (Pro TLE ii vs Pro CDP). I ended up going with the TLE and don't have a bit of regret. For me it really came down to the fact that I wasn't really planning to make it my EDC. It's been more for range and possibly IDPA. I was also kind of hoping the steel frame would help minimize the felt recoil, though I have still yet to try an alloy frame and I'm interested in hearing if anyone has fired both and if there is a noticeable difference.

Regardless, a Pro TLE ii for under $850 is an awesome deal and I believe a better value.

Keep us posted!

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I see your in Lafayette. Do you have any of these I could feel and touch? I have to order the tle sight unseen and i'm a little nervous because I have to take it if he orders it. I have handled the cdp and I like it okay.though its a little on the light side. I was just looking at specs and noticed the kimbers are 1/4 inch shorter than some others. Does this matter? I'm not a big guy.

Yeah, I have alloy framed Pro Carrys and a Pro Tactical, and a steel framed Eclipse Pro. I would be willing to meet you somewhere if you want.

Top Bottom