• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    Looking for a baby 9. I know the sig is about 4 ounces heavier, but it is also cheaper and has no external safety. What are your guys' thoughts on them? The LC9 is also in the running, though currently in last place. I'm replacing a 4th gen glock 26. I want something lighter and thinner. Thoughts?

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Have you considered the Kahr CM9? I picked one up a few months ago and I love it.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Okay, here is my take-
    The Kimber Solo is a beautiful piece, yet I cant understand why it wont shoot everything its fed? If Im going to carry something why have it be ammo specific? Granted never had a chance to play with one, so I judging my opinions on what I have read about it. The Sig, is a different story, I was excited when my local shop had some in stock, couldnt wait to handle one. Well....
    I wasnt to thrilled, but thats my opinion again...
    The trigger pull dry firing wasnt all that, it seemed to top heavy and bulky. Granted when I had the opportunity to shoot one it was a great shooter. Was I overly excited about it, no!

I would rather carry the G26 over this...
    I also thought for a pocket nine the PF9 is a great choice. Owned one and never had an issue. Alot lighter, great shooter, and ate everything I fed it.
    Of course its not "eye candy" but...:D

keyser

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 23, 2008
    I couldn't get past the trigger on the Sig, it was really heavy and long. I haven't found a Solo to try, but I think the articles I read put the trigger at 8 or 9lb, which is about the same as the Sig. For now I'm sticking with a Kahr.

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    I was in one of my local gun shops last night and they had a sig 290 in. I was really underimpressed. it was really really top heavy, had a very heavy trigger pull and was really a little uglier than I thought it was haha. I'll have to shoot it before I can make a final decision, but I won't be rushing out to buy it. Ill check out the solo carry as soon as i can find one, but for now I'm sticking with my 26

snowman46919

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Marion
    For those thinking they were top heavy was it loaded? Did it manage recoil better than say a pf9? Just because it is a bit heavier may not mean its a bad thing

mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    It was unloaded and was still uncomfortably top heavy. Don't get me wrong, I do like it, but it's just not floating my boat. It has very similar dimensions to the solo carry, but it is still more blocky, where as te solo carry is more rounded.

latigo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bloomfield
    I went with the LC9. Size, quality and price point. The gun is accurate and easy to shoot. Great pocket gun. I considered the Solo but I have two Kimbers and have had to have both sent in for work ( they are very picky guns). I have not had one hiccup with the LC9 with over 250 rounds of all types ammo. The thumb safety is not a problem for me as I am a 1911 guy. The only thing that I would say is a drawback is the trigger pull but I am getting use to it. Keep in mind I am use to single action. Not knocking the others just posting my imput on he LC9. It is my everyday carry even if I am carry my 1911 the LC9 is in my pocket.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    You should look at a Walther PPS, it isn't much lighter than a Glock 26, but it is a good bit thinner. Quality is definitely better than the ruger, and probably a bit better than the Sig. Trigger is almost identical to the Glock, but the may release is a little different. You should be able to find one cheaper than the Solo as well, probably the $550 range.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If I was looking for something like one of these, I'd be choosing between the Walther PPS and the Kahrs. Personally I think the PPS is the nicest if you can get used to the European ergonomics, especially the trigger-guard mag release. I'd probably go with the LC9 if I wanted something less expensive, or the Diamondback DB9 if I wanted something really small and didn't mind buying from a new and unproven company.

Right now, I think you can get something better for the money you'd spend on a Sig or Kimber. If money is no object, get a Rohrbaugh for bragging rights :)

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I too was desperately searching for a small 9. I looked at all of the new 9's and put each one in my pocket. None fit well. I own a Kahr PM40 and like it but even teh Kahr PM9 was too big. I was going to shell out the money and buy a Rohrbaugh for $1100 but I could never find one to compare the size.

Finally, I bought a Diamondback DB9. It is the smallest, thinnest pocket 9 I could find. It fits in my pocket. It is a bear to shoot and was not enjoyable to put 50+ rounds through just to function test. I did not have a single failure. The trigger is actually a little lighter than I would like in a pocket gun with no safety but I always carry it in a holster without the trigger exposed. It is by far, the cheapest junkiest full power handgun I own but I believe it fills its role as a pocket pistol well.

Top Bottom