• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    What make/model gun were you shooting. I had an SP101 quite a few years back and with full power, Federal 125 gr .357 loads it was a bit of a beast. Same load in a 6" revolver such as Colt King Cobra I had, was not an issue due to size of gun, grip, barrel weight, balance of gun, etc.

My 357 is a Taurus 669 with a 3" barrel. I was using 38 special bullets of 125 gr, 130 grs and 148 gr reloads and 357 bullets with 142grs. I have 158gr 38 special & 357 bullets but didn't use them since they cost more. I have little hands but the 357 feels better to hold and shoot. Since it's bigger I think it's better balanced. I hated the snubby 38 special. I think I need to find an older model stainless one to try instead of a new lightweight one.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Usually when you hear someone complain about the 45 recoil, they are moving up from a 9mm.
    In my opinion; "No way". In frame to frame equality, a 9mm snaps way harder than the bigger slower push of a .45 which leaves the bore much slower...by hundreds of feet per second slower. YMMV, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    45s are great. Recoil? Sure. But it shouldn't be flying over your head like you see in some YouTube vids. Maybe you have big massive muscles after shooting the Mosin so many times.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    With a .45 ACP 1911 almost all of the "recoil" you are feeling is not from the cartridge firing. It's from that big steel slide coming back and stopping and slamming into the frame and returning forward. Shoot a .45 ACP 1911 with the slide locked shut or a S&W 625 revolver in .45 ACP and you'll see there is very little recoil. It's like a big friendly push. I can still remember the first time I fired a .45 1911 so many years ago and when the gun cycled I was thinking "What the hell just happened?" And I was hooked for life. Shooting a .45 1911 is like playing with a big dumb puppy.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I love the 45 im hooked! I'll be CCing or OCing ( If Texas ever allows it ) when I'm 18. I love rapid fire with this gun

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I felt the same way when my neighbor talked up his colt 1911, I expected my arm to be behind me when I pulled the trigger. Was nothing like i was expecting. I didn't want to hurt his feelings but my 380 hurt my hand worse.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    HAHA! No. And that is a ski mask that I got at Wal Mart. I'm constantly taking stupid ass pics of myself while I'm alone in my apartment. Picture in question is now my profile pic.

If you went into WM with your 1911 drawn like that also? Can see why you got some attention.

As far as 45's go seems like somewhere I also heard that about 45acp kicking real hard. Now that I own one, I know whoever said that really didn't know what they're talking about. Also can see why it's a really good target caliber.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    My 8 year old grandson doesn't have a problem with recoil when he shoots my 1911. The first time he fired it his eyes got to be about the size of walnuts and you couldn't sandpaper the grin off his face.

The only problem he does have with it is giving it back to me so I can fire it up.

shavedforbattle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Evansville
    If you went into WM with your 1911 drawn like that also? Can see why you got some attention.

As far as 45's go seems like somewhere I also heard that about 45acp kicking real hard. Now that I own one, I know whoever said that really didn't know what they're talking about. Also can see why it's a really good target caliber.

Ha! Nothing like shopping for ammo in a ski mask with a gun drawn.:draw:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The recoil was a let down. I was expecting really heavy recoil
    Yea, Them ol' 1911s just punish on the business end.
    Welcome to the big, old, heavy, steel gun of choice. It's been my gun of choice since '67.
    I OC my full size 1911 everywhere, all the time. I put black Hogue grips on the RIA and wearing a black shirt, black holster and belt, they're not that noticable.
    Thumbs up to JMB. I'd rep him if I could

Last edited:
    Top Bottom