• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    Kriss Vector Gen II 10mm KABOOM

I purchased a new Kriss Vector Gen II 10mm rifle at the end of November, upon firing my very first full magazine for a basic function check and preliminary sight in, it went KABOOM on the 12th round of my 15 round magazine. When I say KABOOM, I don’t mean that lightly! It blew a big piece of the polymer frame off the right side, blew the mag out, and cracked the frame on the left side, and I had to remove the remaining piece of the cartridge from the chamber, an obvious out of battery firing, to me. Just for clarification, I did not hit the mag release while firing, I bought and installed the extended rail before ever firing it, and I was holding the rail when I was firing it.

I immediately contacted Kriss Vector, they ask a couple questions, and nonchalantly issued a return authorization number and prepaid shipping label for me to send it in for inspection, and repair or replacement. The service rep I spoke to was friendly and courteous and not at all confrontational about my new gun going KABOOM. He ask if I thought I had a squib load, I told him it was not, and I was certain the rifle had fired out of battery, he asked if I had checked the barrel for any obstruction, to which I answered, yes, there was no barrel obstruction. I gave him the brand, type, and lot number of the factory ammunition I was using. I also told him, I thought there was a possibility that the extractor could have come off and caused the out of battery firing. He asked why would I think that, and I told him, because the extractor is missing, gone, nowhere to be found. He merely replied, that their factory gunsmiths would look at it and make an evaluation, and repair or replace my Gen II 10mm Kriss Vector in 6-10 weeks.

I am currently on week 4 of my 6-10 week estimate, I had actually intended to wait until the rifle was returned before posting this, however, I am starting to get a little antsy, so I sent an email to the service tech I had originally spoke to, asking if it would be possible to speak to the gunsmith that was assigned to inspect my rifle and I was told, they don’t allow that, but I would get a written report with my rifle upon it’s return. Can’t honestly say that surprised me, but never the less, I would still really like to hear directly from their gunsmith.

While waiting on the return of my new new rifle, I looked around the Interwebz and it seems mine has not been the only Kriss KaBoom, I can’t honestly say whether or not it’s a big problem inherent with the Kriss, but it does seem as though the 45acp and the 10mm are the ones that have been experiencing this issue. Hopefully, I will get it back soon. In the meantime though, it leaves me wondering if I am going to keep it, and chance having to return it again (as I have read of 2nd time KaBooms in rifles that have been returned once already) and hope that my new new rifle will now be one of the ones I have read about that have fired 10,000 rounds without a single hiccup, or should I sell it or trade it for something I have a wee bit more confidence in?

I will report back again with what their determination was once I get it back.

IMG_7079.jpeg

IMG_7108.jpg

IMG_7098.jpeg

IMG_7078.jpg

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont blame them for not talking to you. That's lawsuit fuel there. I wouldnt be surprised if his written report wasnt filtered through their counsel. I dont think that not speaking freely under these circumstances is necessarily bad or ominous. Just likely CYA.

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    Sorry, but sometimes it happens. Just hope were you were not seriously hurt. I see a bad moon arising in the form of a products liability law suit.
    Thanks, but luckily not a scratch. However, had I been holding it differently, it could have been a different story.
    You are 100% correct, I totally accept the premise of “**** happens” anytime you are dealing with firearms, so wear your eye protection, and also, today’s society is lawsuit happy and someone will probably jump on the personal injury lawsuit bandwagon if they get as much as a small scratch.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Exactly what Cameramonkey said on communication and liability, and a completely reasonable way for the company to handle things. No foul there.

The odds are very likely that the extractor was lost as a result of the incident, not the cause of it.

Unless the ammunition manufacturer acknowledges a problem with that lot number, I would have a permanent lack of confidence in that design or some element of manufacturing. Probably still even if the ammo was bad, as that's a more expensive niche firearm that sells in smaller numbers, so this incident plus some number of anecdotal data points you've seen don't say good things statistically.

I would not want to own something if I thought it was unreliable and could fail to function when needed for actual self-defense use. If I thought it could injure me at any time during ordinary practice as well, I would be selling it off immediately.

I think that is just stepping through rationally, probably confirming your own thought process. You've done a great job of adding a data point for others to access, with what seems like a very clear and objective account of what happened. I hate to see any innovative firearm have problems that take it out of consideration, but you have to call them as you see them. Glad the story ends without serious injury.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've had my share of blowback guns lighting rounds off out of battery. Thankfully mine were 9mm instead of the mighty 10, and no damage or injury occurred. I agree with the above comment that your extractor likely got jettisoned as a result of the explosion, and was not the cause. Either way, I'm glad you weren't hurt and that Kriss is taking care of it for you.

I've always wanted to try a Vector...it's an interesting design. But I'm done buying blowback PCCs.

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 9.54.25 AM.png I've had my share of blowback guns lighting rounds off out of battery. Thankfully mine were 9mm instead of the mighty 10, and no damage or injury occurred. I agree with the above comment that your extractor likely got jettisoned as a result of the explosion, and was not the cause. Either way, I'm glad you weren't hurt and that Kriss is taking care of it for you.

I've always wanted to try a Vector...it's an interesting design. But I'm done buying blowback PCCs.
    I appreciate your thoughts!

I have one other 10mm blowback carbine that has ran flawlessly, a TNW Aero Survival Rifle. I am completely happy with it and I honestly have no idea the total number of rounds through it, especially since I have the S&W 40 caliber barrel for it and have shot both calibers a lot.

The picture is a stock photo from their webpage, I have a Vortex SPARC II on mine and it is a really nice little package. It isn't a battle rifle, but it is a great little backpack or trunk rifle.

I am 99.9% certain I'll be trading the Kriss off once it comes back.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You can see on that cartridge case exactly where it was supported and where it wasn't. Crazy.

I also agree that the extractor probably got blown off in the explosion and was not an initial cause. Pretty common for extractors to go bye-bye in a OOB.

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    62C07EFE-EEA4-490F-BC36-3E650F3F97EC.jpeg
    You can see on that cartridge case exactly where it was supported and where it wasn't. Crazy.

I also agree that the extractor probably got blown off in the explosion and was not an initial cause. Pretty common for extractors to go bye-bye in a OOB.
    I agree, the extractor most likely went ba-bye during the OOB event. The reason I thought it might have came off before was, there was no sign of a broken pin in either side of the pin hole or evidence of it being ripped out? I should have taken a picture of it, but it never occurred to me at the time here is a stock picture of a replacement bolt from the webpage.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Kinda sad, because it really is a neat gun, but I don't blame you. I've done the same when I've had to send something in for warranty work...even if it gets fixed or replaced, unless they can tell me exactly what went wrong and demonstrate how it's been corrected, I have a hard time trusting it again. Better to cut your losses and move on to something else before the new one does the same thing.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I appreciate your thoughts!

I have one other 10mm blowback carbine that has ran flawlessly, a TNW Aero Survival Rifle. I am completely happy with it and I honestly have no idea the total number of rounds through it, especially since I have the S&W 40 caliber barrel for it and have shot both calibers a lot.

The picture is a stock photo from their webpage, I have a Vortex SPARC II on mine and it is a really nice little package. It isn't a battle rifle, but it is a great little backpack or trunk rifle.

Does it come left handed or did they flip the picture?

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    Does it come left handed or did they flip the picture?
    The TWN Aero comes standard as a right hand, but can easily be flipped for left hand. I love the design, and I think it is a cool concept and a great little rifle.

But I think the Kriss has caused me to adopt a new rule, if a new gun goes kaboom on the very first magazine, it’s gonna find a new home.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    The TWN Aero comes standard as a right hand, but can easily be flipped for left hand. I love the design, and I think it is a cool concept and a great little rifle.

But I think the Kriss has caused me to adopt a new rule, if a new gun goes kaboom on the very first magazine, it’s gonna find a new home.
    Good rule. I had a Gen 5 g19 kaboom. After it came back from Glock I sold it with full disclosure to a guy. I never shot it when it came back. I'd just be waiting for it to blow again every time I shot it.

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 8, 2019
    Larry County
    IMG_7347.jpeg FINAL UPDATE: The Kriss Vector was returned yesterday. They basically gave me a new rifle, with the same serial number. What I was told is believable, they felt like it was "likely" caused by a faulty magazine failing to feed correctly, so when the bolt slammed home, the round wasn't fed fully into the chamber, and the inertia of the bolt smacked the primer, and Kaboom. the Kriss gunsmith fired 100 rounds through it of different manufacture and bullet weight, with zero failures.
    Now, the big decision, do I keep it, or do I find it a new home.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    Glad you are ok! Also glad you are not the kind of person to hop on the lawsuit bandwagon. Firearms manufacturers have a hard enough time with lawsuits and we need to do our part when bad things like this happen.
    I too own a 10mm Kriss Vector and have had zero issues past the first 2 mags. Now when it was brand new, the bolt was VERY stiff and did take some breaking in due to the design. The OEM Kriss mag extensions are junk unless you do some DIY work to them. I had to take mine apart and bevel the inside of the mags where the extension meets the factory Glock OEM mag. There was a catch point where the follower/spring would get hung up on the sharp edge.
    When the gun was new and the bolt was stiff, I would notice the rounds would not feed reliably and the rounds would get hung up on the feed ramp. Only happened the first 2 mags. If that happens on ANY gun, there is a high possibility for bullet setback causing over pressure.

I would keep it and SBR it:twocents:

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is why I don't and won't own one. When it comes to high pressure cartridges, I want some metal between it and me.
    I agree, i enjoy the security of metal!

On a side note I work for the military and currently the govt is looking at and testing polymer casings for the 50 cal for use in aircraft! I laughed my ass off when I first heard about it but apparently it is working and offers massive weight savings on rotary wing platforms where weight is a large factor.

Top Bottom