Ladies, might want to be aware of this.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    By STEFANIE THOMAS
    Updated: 05.06.10
    SUMMERWOOD - Four armed men attempted to rob a woman and her 16-year-old daughter at a fake roadblock on Woodson Park near West Lake Houston Parkway in Summerwood April 22.

According to Harris County Sheriff’s Office District 2 robbery investigator Sgt. R. Minchew, the victims were on their way home around 10:20 p.m. when they came upon traffic cones blocking the roadway near a construction zone.

“When the victims slowed down at the cones they were confronted by four suspects armed with a shotgun and a handgun,” Minchew said. “One of the suspects broke the windows out of the car with his shotgun and demanded that the victims get out of the car. Another suspect attempted to break out the passenger side window with a handgun.”

Minchew said the woman put her car in reverse and managed to get away. One of the suspects, he said, fired a shot at the victim’s car.

In five years of investigating robberies in the Humble, Atascocita, Huffman and Spring areas, Minchew said he has never seen a case where suspects set up a fake roadblock.

“This is very unusual,” he said. “Usually suspects use the same [mode of operation] until they get caught, but to my knowledge there hasn’t been another case like this in the county.”

The suspects, he said, appear to target women specifically. At least two men were allowed to pass the barrier prior to the woman’s arrival.

“One of the men moved the cones and drove through, and another just drove right over them,” Minchew said. “It looks like they waited for a woman to come along.”

The roadblock was set up in a heavily wooded area with a lot of construction nearby. The victim did not observe any vehicles in the vicinity.

“We don’t know where the suspects parked or even if they had a vehicle,” Minchew said, “but we don’t have any evidence that they live in the neighborhood, either.”

The first suspect was described as a black male, 18 to 25 years old, wearing black clothing and a black and white bandana over the lower part of his face, and armed with a sawed-off shotgun.

The second suspect was described as a white or Hispanic male, 18 to 25 years old, same clothing description, armed with a silver or chrome colored handgun with a long barrel. There is no description on the other two suspects.

Minchew urged drivers to be alert and use caution when approaching a roadblock.

“If there are no signs that say ‘detour’ or ‘road closed’, either turn around or just drive over the cones,” he said. “Then call law enforcement and check if it is a legitimate roadblock.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 713-222-TIPS.

Armed suspects target women at fake roadblock > Atascocita Observer > News > Houston Community Newspapers Online - News Around Town

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Wow thanks for the news flash. I almost got robbed at a railroad crossing one time. Some guys had passed me going pretty fast and then waited for me at the crossing. I saw them stopped there for just a little too long so I took my time and went real slow and then I came to a stop. I never did go to the crossing. When I finally turned around and went another road they were still sitting there waiting on me or maybe another victim. This has happend many times from talking to others. So please be aware of the RR crossings.

LordTio3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2010
    McCordsville
    I've never heard of a "roadblock" incident either, but Gas stations are another truly dangerous place where women are often victimized; criminally or just verbally. I've had to set some of the "good ole' boys" straight about how to speak to women on several occasions where I live. And they truly tend to shut up and listen when their target doesn't just look the other way and hurry along.

In this instance, I don't think the pair of ladies could have won out any better than they did. The mother did the exact right thing to do, even if she had been carrying a gun to defend herself and daughter. Much respect to her at having the guts to make off with their lives at gunpoint after the windows are smashed. That took a lot of spirit and they are probably alive today because of it.

Good story,
    ~LT

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Yes that mom was very brave and very alert during this. Her maternal instinct kicked in and I am not sure if I could be that calm and react so smartly. Kudos to her and yes I am sure she and her daughter are alive and well to this day due to her outstanding reaction.

GunSlinger77

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Its sad that this sort of thing has to happen and even worse that you don't really hear about more of them. I happen to catch wind of some around where I am just because I work in LE. I think awareness helps keep people in 'ready' mode, not complacent 'mode'!!

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    Thanks for posting this story. It's the 1st time I've ever heard of this kind of a scenario. I hope those guys were stupid enough to eventually get caught.

Rogue42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2009
    McCordsville
    wow, I would think that one of the first two cars, especially the one that drove through the roadblock might have called it in. And who in their right mind will stop for someone wearing black clothing and a bandana over their face?
    (but in the dark they could pop up real quick when you stop I suppose)

Top Bottom