• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Anyone know where I can find an ATF guideline on deactivating firearms if such a thing even exists? Did a search and didn't turn anything up.

I'm wanting to create a legally deactivated SBS for a display piece. I was remembering a past discussion and there was the thought that you could just use deactivated/dummy barrels and keep the receiver live, but I can't remember the conclusion. Seems reasonable, but as we all know very little about firearms laws is reasonable.

If nobody has a solid ruling I'll just write a letter.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Actually, disregard unless there is a written guideline somewhere. I found that old thread. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-how-do-i-deactivate-firearm-atf-specs-4.html

Who would I write a letter to at the state level? I would think there must be some way to go about this, but who knows. I'd like the action to still be able to break open, so perhaps there's a way to deactivate the receiver alone. Then I could still use the ejectors on the barrel. From the previous thread though I gather there's no way to legally make a non-gun from a shotgun receiver in Indiana.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I like the idea of a dummy barrel, but I'm sure it could be construed as "readily convertible" in some ridiculous way. I think safest bet would be to modify the action instead.

I've been reading a bit on the legal code. My main contentions are if it would be legally considered a weapon or firearm at all. The code says any thing "designed to expel a projectile by means of an explosion" is a firearm. It was designed from the factory to, but the modifications were not designed to, so which end of the modification is the ruling based on? Original intent of the hunk of steel, or its current state. If it goes by original intent of the item I could melt it into a blob of slag and it would still be considered a firearm.

Also, "easily converted" is another one of those areas that could mean anything.

I just need to write a letter, but I have no idea who you write to on the state level. Would it be the office of the Attorney General?

If it isn't a firearm the code on shotguns and sawn-off shotgun wouldn't apply so I'd be pretty well in the clear if I can get that ruling.

Top Bottom