• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I haven’t spent enough time with my Baer to form a good opinion. But it is tight and very accurate. My Dad liked it better then my Wilson.

I would put Nighthawk at the top of the heap. Baer is the best overall value. Wilson is pretty much a high end production line at this point, but still great guns. Really can’t go wrong with any of those choices.

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I have a Les Baer commander in 38 Super that is one of my favorites. Dead nuts accurate and has been 100% reliable. I sold a NH Costa Commander (45) because of how well the Baer shoots.

I have a WC Compact 4" Tactical Carry that has 9mm and 38 Super barrels fitted. It's been 100% reliable and is a perfect carry pistol.

Next to a CZ 97 that was worked over by CGW I'd say the Baer is my number 2 favorite.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Haven't owned a Baer but I've had more than my share of Nighthawks and Wilsons. Just got one AllenM about a month ago and IMHO it's on par with any Nighthawk or Wilson I've owned. Not the same name recognition but Allen's quality, fit and finish IS there with the best of them.

Attachments

• Allen Moore Commander.jpg
      Allen Moore Commander.jpg
      741.2 KB · Views: 16
    Last edited:

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    Looking to spend a dollar or two on a custom 1911 Government .45 ACP. I am looking a Les Baer though a Ed Brown looks better in fit and finish. Wilson has turned into a high dollar prediction gun. I know there are a few good custom gunsmiths out there building 1911's but Baer and Brown I have used and shot. Which or who would you use to build your dream gun?
    I own Les Baers (pic below), Dan Wesson, Colts, Wilson Combat, and Springfield Armory TRPs.

I would love to tell you that I can tell a difference, or that one shoots better than the other, but sadly none of that is true.

The only difference between them all is the Colt has battle rattle, but the rest all feel the same. They all shoot accurately. The slide is super smooth (Baers have about an 800 round break in).

I think it’s important to decide the purpose of the gun. If it’s just a toy, then pick any of them. If you want a light rail, then Baer is out as they don’t make any guns with rails. If you want a red dot optic, then again look at which ones meet your needs.

Attachments

• IMG_6576.jpeg
      IMG_6576.jpeg
      877.7 KB · Views: 4
    Last edited:

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I have followed along on many of these works of art build type threads and something i never understood was.... if your going to have such beautiful piece custom built, then why spend over a grand for a good 1911 only to have 90% of the parts changed out and rehand fitted for precision? Why not start with like a Tias 1911 and build from there?

chadm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 30, 2016
    West side of Indy
    I have followed along on many of these works of art build type threads and something i never understood was.... if your going to have such beautiful piece custom built, then why spend over a grand for a good 1911 only to have 90% of the parts changed out and rehand fitted for precision? Why not start with like a Tias 1911 and build from there?
    My guns are tools and all get shot frequently. I don’t switch out pieces or have shelf queens.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Looking to spend a dollar or two on a custom 1911 Government .45 ACP. I am looking a Les Baer though a Ed Brown looks better in fit and finish. Wilson has turned into a high dollar prediction gun. I know there are a few good custom gunsmiths out there building 1911's but Baer and Brown I have used and shot. Which or who would you use to build your dream gun?
    I have several semi custom 1911 I have a republic forge an ed brown special forces a springfield custom shop fbi " professional model and most recently a pre owned nib wilson cqb from 2006. I have yet to get my wilson to the range or my ed brown but the fit of all these guns is very good finish is very good I have about 1200 rounds through my springfield professional. It's a tough one to beat or equal and my only gripe us ut has like 5 parts that are mim the other ones I have are not supposed to contain any. All are 5 inch guns in .45. They are all better shooters and better fit finish than my other Springfield and my kimber or my dads series 70 colt. They all have came out of the box with sights regulated for 230 grain standard velocity ammo and they all shoot 230 ball and jhp to point of aim out if the box. My republic forge gave me some issues with mag ejection at first but it worked out with use and some solvent and some lube. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands you mentioned I have two dan wesson 1911s as well and they are pretty close to the custom pistols I mentioned as well.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    All are great choices. I have shot some Les Baer’s and Wilson’s but never any Ed Brown. If I were to buy a traditional 1911 I’d probably go for the Baer for no other reason than a little less $$ and I couldn’t tell a difference between that and a Wilson. That said I was fancying a Wilson SFT 9 for nomothetic reason than well 9 is about the cheap east Centerfire to shoot factory stuff these days.

Good luck

Top Bottom