• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I'm working on my Rossi 44mag trying to get it to be less of a factory turd and have a question. Has anyone opened up and rounded the front of the loading port on a lever rifle before? Looking at other models/makes, it looks like most of them have a rounded port instead of a flat face (that makes it harder to load and pinches the hell out of my thumb)...

Here is a picture for reference of how it looks right now:
    IMAGE_6EA035B5-B30E-4D38-81D6-82D1EC1148C9.JPG

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I just use the next round to push the previous round all the way in. The only round I use my finger to push all the way in is the last one. I am curious to see what you find out.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I just use the next round to push the previous round all the way in. The only round I use my finger to push all the way in is the last one. I am curious to see what you find out.

I try doing this, but it normally just ends up with me fumbling rounds while trying to feed them in... I think I am just suck it up and cut it later tonight while I wait on the varnish to dry... Worse comes to worst I can always weld it back up I guess....

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010

^^^ This!

I've also seen some guys with a PVC tube with a full length piece of dowel inside. One end of the PVC is angled to fit alongside the loading gate. Slip 10 rounds inside the PVC, hold it against the loading gate, then use the dowel to "speed-load" everything in one swoop. (sometimes everything flies all over the loading table as well! :D )

I'm a purest and just live with the edges of my thumb ratty after a day's shootin'!

If'n you undertake this project, please pass along the results!

ol' poke

camodiesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Eskan
    I never had a problem with my winchesters, old or new. This is not because of to much spring presure some were is it?

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I never had a problem with my winchesters, old or new. This is not because of to much spring presure some were is it?

The winchesters have a rounded loading port in the front. This stupid Rossi has a square front edge that is a finger-eater... I checked the spring pressure and it seems to be pretty low from the factory...

camodiesel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2012
    Eskan
    Sounds like rounding it off is the solution. Please let me know how it turns out, I've heard lots of good things about the old Rossi lever guns, I've just never had a chance to buy one I liked at a decent price.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Sounds like rounding it off is the solution. Please let me know how it turns out, I've heard lots of good things about the old Rossi lever guns, I've just never had a chance to buy one I liked at a decent price.

It is probably going to have to wait till next weekend... I'm running out of time quickly today. Rossi lever guns aren't bad for the money, but that is about as much good as I can say about them. If you have the know how and around 100$, you can make them really nice... This is the first and last Rossi lever gun that I will own.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It is probably going to have to wait till next weekend... I'm running out of time quickly today. Rossi lever guns aren't bad for the money, but that is about as much good as I can say about them. If you have the know how and around 100$, you can make them really nice... This is the first and last Rossi lever gun that I will own.
    Did you buy this off the interwebs, or from a store where you could fondle it before buying? Not trying to be an a-hole, just curious.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Did you buy this off the interwebs, or from a store where you could fondle it before buying? Not trying to be an a-hole, just curious.

I bought it in store. The issues aren't with the outward appearance... The action is not very smooth because the internals were not machined very well. I had read a lot of reviews on this rifle before bought it that stated that it isn't difficult to make them run well. I have had to do a number of modification to make it to what I consider a comfortable/acceptable gun to shoot... I am not done yet though... I should also note that I was spoiled by my father-in-laws winchester...

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I'm picking up my Rossi .45long colt wednesday...hope it's not a problem with it too. (Sounds like it will be)

It really depends on what you are expecting... Mine was built to be a replica of the older winchesters that had the crescent moon stock and I hated this after shooting it the first time... Rossi does offer a lot of different options though. The Rio Grande 30-30 that I played with seemed to be a much nicer rifle than mine..

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    It might not be too bad in the 45colt... But the 44mag was painful. The first day I shot it, I put 50 rounds through it. By the time I was done, I didn't want to shoot it anymore. The bottom portion of the curve dug itself into my collar bone enough to cause me pain...

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    It might not be too bad in the 45colt... But the 44mag was painful. The first day I shot it, I put 50 rounds through it. By the time I was done, I didn't want to shoot it anymore. The bottom portion of the curve dug itself into my collar bone enough to cause me pain...

:crying:

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Is your Rossi a '92? If so, and you want it to sing, contact Steve Young @ www.stevesgunz.com. Steve makes a DVD which explains how to dis-assemble, polish the machine marks, lighten the springs and make that rifle a true beauty - you can't compare the before and after. He'll do it himself, if you prefer.

'ol poke

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Is your Rossi a '92? If so, and you want it to sing, contact Steve Young @ www.stevesgunz.com. Steve makes a DVD which explains how to dis-assemble, polish the machine marks, lighten the springs and make that rifle a true beauty - you can't compare the before and after. He'll do it himself, if you prefer.

'ol poke

I bought his spring kit and as soon as I get a little more spare cash I will get the DVD and the magazine follower he sells.

Top Bottom