• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • B40B

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 29, 2020
    Valparaiso
    Finally got around to acquiring a 357/38 lever gun for the collection. What is the going recommendation for optics? It is a Henry X and will end up suppressed with some form of illumination for a "around the property" type gun. Could be used to stop varmints, could end up next to the night stand to stop much larger varmints...

TIA

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Pretty jelous. Definitely a gun thats on my want list. Id like to keep a small profile with a aimpoint micro or some variant.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I am considering a 1-4x or 1-6x variable optic, but I am also in the same park as @Cavman trying to keep a small foot print... Decisions decisions.

I've had a Leupold 1-4 on my Marlin ever since my eyesight became old. That rifle has collected plenty of horns and meat from the Indiana woods over the years and dealt with more than a few pests. At woods ranges it's a solid combination.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Dunno if they still make them, but the Leupold 1.5-4 LPVOs are nice and small. Light, too. Nice option for added precision at short range.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I run a leupold fixed 2.5 power scout on my lever gun.

An aimpoint T2 would be nice, but I think the leupold fixed power will look less offensive if looks are a concern. Just don't put chinese stuff on an american lever gun, please.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    Since you mentioned iron sights in the title, the Skinner peep sights are hard to beat, especially for older eyes. I have them on my Henry Big Boy 45 Colt and Rossi 92 357 Magnum.

I have been thinking of getting a low cost 4 power scope for the Henry.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Since you mentioned iron sights in the title, the Skinner peep sights are hard to beat, especially for older eyes. I have them on my Henry Big Boy 45 Colt and Rossi 92 357 Magnum.

I have used Skinner sights with success. Really good option.

Currently have a RMR type sight on my Marlin 30aw. Super handy in just about any conditions I hunt in.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

I have Leupold DPP red dots on some and Leupold 1-4x Red Dots and 2-7x Red Dots on others. Thinking I'd like to try the Skinners on a Browning '92. Stock iron sights just are not possible for me any more.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I would run the XS lever rail with a ghost ring with something like a Vortex Venom or Burris Fast fire 3 maybe a Holosun 507c.

Might even scout mount it.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I've done the scope on a levergun thing and didn't care for what it did to the weight and balance. A lever-action is all about speed and portability to me, and the appeal is in the handiness of the platform. I found that I can be just as accurate out to 50 yards with a peep sight, so that's what I ended up doing. I have the Williams WGRS on a couple of my leverguns...fast to acquire, more sight radius than the factory sights, inexpensive and simple to use, and no permanent modification to the gun if I ever want to re-install the factory buckhorn.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I've done the scope on a levergun thing and didn't care for what it did to the weight and balance. A lever-action is all about speed and portability to me, and the appeal is in the handiness of the platform. I found that I can be just as accurate out to 50 yards with a peep sight, so that's what I ended up doing. I have the Williams WGRS on a couple of my leverguns...fast to acquire, more sight radius than the factory sights, inexpensive and simple to use, and no permanent modification to the gun if I ever want to re-install the factory buckhorn.

I agree, and I do love peep sights... as the best style of iron sights, but nothing is faster than a red dot. The ability to shoot with both eyes open at any distance (your rifle is sighted for) and have your brain do all the work is unmatched in my book.

IMG_0305.JPG

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Agreed. I use a red dot/lever combo for whitetail. Light, fast, and accurate. Good results this far
    377a30bdbe9a8c2acbace771237c4584.jpg

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I've had a Leupold 1-4 on my Marlin ever since my eyesight became old. That rifle has collected plenty of horns and meat from the Indiana woods over the years and dealt with more than a few pests. At woods ranges it's a solid combination.
    Nor an 1894 but I bought a Leupold 1-4 to put on my 336. I still need to decide what mounts to use.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have primary arms 1x prism sights on a few guns because of varying levels of astigmatism in both eyes. It makes red dots look like little comets and I'm terrible about wearing my glasses all the time because I can otherwise see just fine, and I tend to leave my prescription safety glasses at work. Another plus is I still have a functional optic if the battery dies.

Top Bottom