• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My first thought… 3 1/2 years old.

That video is 3 1/2 years old. Where are the end-user products based on this technology?

I mean, it looks good and all, but if it can't make it to market in 3 1/2 years, what problems were found with it?

My next thought is, what about sweat impregnation? One of the problems with body armour on our troops in the sandbox was wearing it in hot weather, they sweat right into it, and once the sweat carried all kinds of skin oils and desert grit into the weave, their normal body movements essentially sanded the fibers down, compromising their tensile strength and making the vest risky to wear, as its actual ballistic resistance was suspect. How does this liquid armour stand up to sweat impregnation?

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    I actually remember this but haven't heard anymore about :dunno:

Something is better than nothing

Ill take a vest of leather over a t-shirt

:twocents:

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    i know the period its been out. Just curious as it is still in development both here and in England.

I didn't think about the sweat resistance, a very good point to bring up. Personally I think if the armor was smaller and in better places to provide coverage with some degree of breathability to the user, it would be a great idea.

all that is really necessary is some sort of plating, regardless of thickness that would spread the kinietic energy over a wider surface since the treated material would theoretically prevent penetration. In other words, even if the kinetic shield would deform, as long as it prevented damage to the user, it could be made of a lighter and thinner alloy. Ceramic plates are known to fracture after a few bullet impacts but absorbs the energy of a bullet better than a plate while offering a level of penetration protection. No need for something that heavy and thick when one of those elements are accounted for.

Top Bottom