Not open for further replies.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I can remember when I was a young kid, going up to visit some family friends in Carmel and it was a quiet little neighborhood (no idea exactly where it was now) with very small modest older homes. Definitely had a "blue collar" feel to it.
    In the 50’s my grandfather started a bottle delivery company called Carmel Dairy. He said it was ok but capturing the Sheridan market was the ultimate goal, haha.
    Carmel was a crossroads with a few houses and Sheridan was a real town.

Welcome to INGO.

I feel your pain.
    I moved to Fishers in 1987 when it was about 1500 people.
    The only grocery store was Archer's Market just east of the tracks on 116th St.
    And just west of the tracks other than a few old houses, it was open fields.

City Hall was the old house just across the west side of the tracks on the south side of the road, and the police station was an old building that was little more than a big shed behind it that opened at 8am.

In some of the early growing phases it was a decent place to live as a few more things were brought in.
    But by the time I moved out of Fishers in May of 2016 I was SO glad to get out of that fustercluck.

This mentality that the more people and things that can be crammed in the smallest area automatically makes life better is insane.
    But that's the mentality of the people running Fishers now.
    Our current neighbors patriarch sold his farm to the people that built Sunblest about that time or a little earlier. They came in and bought just shy of a whole section plus some other parcels with cash. They’re good neighbors but I can’t say the money didn’t poison some of their relationships between themselves.

We feel the growth coming. I don’t want to see it but can’t move forward watching the rearview all the time.

davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers
    not sure of your timeline but why Mt. Summit? Aren't you kind of limiting where to look? The farmer to our southwest sold out and now we have a sub-division off our back corner. You just never know...
    My girlfriend has paid for property there. I am also looking at Eastern Tennessee/Mountain City for a parcel of land to start from scratch on...again...if I can work remotely than anything is possible

davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers
    Advice? Get married b4 you put money in any sort of joint project. Protects you both. Shows actual commitment to the project AND the relationship. Good luck.
    Solid advice Never thought I would be in this situation again being a divorced single dad with full custody... But here I am willing to beat the odds and do it again

davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers
    Welcome to INGO.

I feel your pain.
    I moved to Fishers in 1987 when it was about 1500 people.
    The only grocery store was Archer's Market just east of the tracks on 116th St.
    And just west of the tracks other than a few old houses, it was open fields.

City Hall was the old house just across the west side of the tracks on the south side of the road, and the police station was an old building that was little more than a big shed behind it that opened at 8am.

In some of the early growing phases it was a decent place to live as a few more things were brought in.
    But by the time I moved out of Fishers in May of 2016 I was SO glad to get out of that fustercluck.

This mentality that the more people and things that can be crammed in the smallest area automatically makes life better is insane.
    But that's the mentality of the people running Fishers now.
    I have lived in Fishers for about 11 years... I remember Archers and the Nickel Plate restaurant... I was sad to see them go and I knew what was coming... Let's compete with Carmel. I loved the trees in the Fishers Circle and riding the train with my son to the State Fair. So much has changed and there is nothing we can do but hold onto the memories and find somewhere new.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I can remember when I was a young kid, going up to visit some family friends in Carmel and it was a quiet little neighborhood (no idea exactly where it was now) with very small modest older homes. Definitely had a "blue collar" feel to it.
    I remember. My parents lived in Carmel when they married. Like all good things, everyone wants a piece of it.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My girlfriend has paid for property there. I am also looking at Eastern Tennessee/Mountain City for a parcel of land to start from scratch on...again...if I can work remotely than anything is possible
    The Hoosier state is pretty good, but Tennessee, not having an income tax, makes it desirable too! Every place is getting crowded. Around here they are building huge, and I mean huge, apartment complexes. Cramming that many people into such small spaces is only asking for problems, especially when one considers that infrastructure, such as roads, aren't ready to accommodate the increased population/ traffic.

BJHay

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2019
    Crawfordsville
    I'm a city boy who married a farmer's daughter and became a convert to country life. I suggest stretching on other things to buy as much land as you can. It's at least a partial hedge against sprawl.

My advice, be careful about what projects and additions you plan. Each is likely to require some level of ongoing long-term maintenance. It adds up. The majority of my time used to be spent on building and growing our 'homestead' but now I spend most of my time on maintenance and upkeep of what we have.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Greetings all, I am a country man at heart stuck in the hustle and bustle of Fishers and I work on the Westside of Indy so of course I get a dose of traffic as well. Counting down the days until I can work full remote and my son has graduated high school and is out doing his thing so I can move out to the Mt Summit area. Until then my girlfriend and I are slowly rehabbing her family property and working on building a functional mini farm. Possibly a couple of cows, meat rabbits and chickens in our future. Anyone here living that life in the Mt Summit I would love to connect for advice and community insight.

Not in the area but living off the land is possible!

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I'm a city boy who married a farmer's daughter and became a convert to country life. I suggest stretching on other things to buy as much land as you can. It's at least a partial hedge against sprawl.

My advice, be careful about what projects and additions you plan. Each is likely to require some level of ongoing long-term maintenance. It adds up. The majority of my time used to be spent on building and growing our 'homestead' but now I spend most of my time on maintenance and upkeep of what we have.
    And it gets harder with age.

Rabbits, some wire cages hung on a wall, little feed n water. Some straw in a box in winter.

Cattle, a whole different world. Fence work all summer, cutting bailing hay n putting it by, again all summer. Now feed n water in the worst weather every day in winter. Never a day off. Machine upkeep. You really gotta love the outdoors lifestyle. But if you love it you’ll never work a day in your life.

Chickens, now there is a chore that takes dedication. To me it’s one I’ll buy’em from neighbors. Best of luck, sincerely.

davidwilso78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2023
    Fishers
    The Hoosier state is pretty good, but Tennessee, not having an income tax, makes it desirable too! Every place is getting crowded. Around here they are building huge, and I mean huge, apartment complexes. Cramming that many people into such small spaces is only asking for problems, especially when one considers that infrastructure, such as roads, aren't ready to accommodate the increased population/ traffic.
    Unfortunately they are not building schools or more places to work along with all these apartment and condominium expansions.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    And it gets harder with age.

Rabbits, some wire cages hung on a wall, little feed n water. Some straw in a box in winter.

Cattle, a whole different world. Fence work all summer, cutting bailing hay n putting it by, again all summer. Now feed n water in the worst weather every day in winter. Never a day off. Machine upkeep. You really gotta love the outdoors lifestyle. But if you love it you’ll never work a day in your life.

Chickens, now there is a chore that takes dedication. To me it’s one I’ll buy’em from neighbors. Best of luck, sincerely.
    [/QUOTE

I agree with the rabbit and cattle assessment but chickens are as easy or easier than rabbits I don’t even feed or water my chickens they clean up all the dinner scraps pig feed bugs etc etc and they drink from the pig trough lol

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom