• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    This is an 1815 Springfield that was made in 1832 that was found inside a wall to an old house that was torn down in New Albany along the Ohio River. One could only guess how it came to be placed in such an odd location, but what of the history this thing saw/participated in before being abandoned.

The barrel was/is blown under the wood right at the swivel ring (which is what probably kept it together). The wood came off in pieces but with clean breaks. The butt of the stock is the worse for wear and tear as it appears to have had the most exposure to water over the years.

It has all been cleaned for days leading up to these pictures and today it all starts going back together as a mantle piece.

The metal will remain in the 'armory bright' with all the defects, the wood will be preserved as best it can once reassembled. Some original cartouches can still be made out on the stock!

I didn't take any photos before these just because it hurt my soul to see such a historical piece neglected in such a way.

DSC05761.JPG DSC05762.JPG DSC05763.JPG DSC05764.JPG

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy
    Would be interesting to know the history of the house it was found in, as well as its occupants around that time period...

Top Bottom