• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Honestly I really want the option for whatever I want, idk if that helps. I am looking to buy one gun so ill have a good fun range gun but in the next year or two ill have a good gun to take on a trip to moose, elk or any other kind of bear. I don't have anything particular in mind hunt wise, but want something that can do the job

Fair enough, My recomendation is still somthing 30 cal.

I have a 300 wby that I took my elk with in 2000. It was a great gun and I dropped a elk in its tracks with a shot to its neck @ 438 yards. If I would have put a 7mm bullet in the same spot from the same distance the elk would have died no faster, or no slower. I always say pratice/shot placement trump ballistics every single time.

Dwight D

Marksman
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Both IN and FL
    A good case can be made for a 30-06, as one can buy mil surplus ammo for practice at the longer ranges you are talking about and actually learn without breaking the bank. No doubt a 7mm mag or a 300 mag is flatter and hits harder but at a higher ammo cost and with more recoil as well. A 30-06 with good quality ammo is certainly a 600 yard rifle in the hands of a good shooter. One must learn how to shoot at these ranges effectively with whatever caliber he is using, and a 30-06 has the advantage of being a caliber that you can buy Lake City match ammo for at a cost that won't break the bank. If one was allready skilled at shooting 500 yds plus, I think a 300 or 7 mag would be the way to go, but if one is just getting into this game, I would consider something with a little less recoil and ammo cost.

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    I picked up a Savage Arms 111FXP3 in December chambered in .30-06, fits my need for a long range high power rifle. Came out of the box with a decent Bushnell scope, all I added was a 14" collapsible bi-pod to the front swivel mount.
    20130117150458hdr.jpg

20130112171448hdr.jpg

Groups from about 100 yds in high wind (MOA variance is shooter error, not gun). Was shooting from that wobbly seat at the wooden table in the second picture, couldn't get comfortable enough to steady shots every time. Just trying to get some rounds down range before a rain storm rolled through.

20130117150831hdr.jpg

All in all I love the gun, only wish I had found the version with the removable magazine instead of the internal. At some point I will hit up AA Optics and get some new glassware for it, but that is further down the road after I exceed the current scope.

cbko4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Danville
    Thank you, was out in Ohio visiting family and friends over Christmas and a college friend, my girlfriend and myself went to Olde English Outfitters. Was just wandering around and saw it on the rack for a price I couldn't pass up, snatched it up before my buddy could grab it and was out the door 20 minutes later. He has an older version of the same model, (doesn't have the adjustable trigger and came with a junk Nikon scope), had nothing but good things to say about the platform though.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    .338 is one of my favorite rounds. Versatile and great for Alaska. Plenty for black bear and moose.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .338-06
    .35 Whelen
    .350 Rem Mag
    .325 WSM

... let me know when it starts to hurt...

.338 Win Mag

... ah yeah, there it is!

.35 Sambar
    .375 H&H
    .45-70
    .444 Marlin
    .450 Marlin

My search would probably start and end with the first couple. They won't kill your shoulder on the range, and they'll take care of business.

BKExpress

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    Gaston, IN
    While there's no chance I personally would settle on one cal/gun, if I were to do so I guess I would go with .308 or .300 Win Mag.

fastang50

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    It's boring yes, but will do everything you're after.

30'06 Savage. You can load your own for target shooting and practice and get quasi-magnum performance with some high end factory ammo for the few times that it would matter.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My choice was a Remington 700 CDL in 7mm Rem Mag. I love the flat shooting 7mm. I was shooting this weekend and hit a quarter that i taped to the bullseye at 225 yards. it's a sweet shooter for sure and is a capable/great round for any game in North America. Ammo isn't that bad at $1.35 a shot.

Top Bottom