• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    I am looking for a good varmint gun, i am currently looking between 223,243, and 270. What are some thoughts?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Yes, any of those calibers will kill critters.

I use a 22 Magnum bolt gun for my varmint duties. I have also used a 22LR pistol in the horse barn. The varmint did not survive.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    if by varmint you mean coyote, rabbit, raccoon and so on then i would go for the .223. Cheaper ammo and still way more than enough to stop all that. If your talking like you have moose wondering through your living room....30-06;)

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    The best way, I believe, to approach this is to think of guns as golf club, or hand tools.

Threshold question: what do you want to do?

Some fall in love with their drivers. Some realize a 5 iron will do. Yet some insist on a pitching wedge.

Then again te 17hmr is a fun one. :) I don't waste 223 on small stuff.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With the three calibers you mentioned, here is my opinion and reasoning. As good as the .270 is, I would consider that caliber too heavy for varmints, and since you cannot hunt deer with it in Indiana, that would not be one I would choose. I believe the .243 has an advantage at further distance targets. The .223, esp if you get some of the heavier bullet loads will be great for most varmint hunting in the midwest. Plus it is a lot cheaper to shoot and barrel life is longer than the .243. If 2500 shots is a lifetime, barrel wear is of little consequence. If you are shooting 200 plus rounds per week ammo cost and barrel wear are real factors.

Last edited:

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Since you didn't list .308, I would go with the .243. :laugh:

The .243 with good loads is very accurate and capable of handling targets out to 1,000 yards with great accuracy. You can load a wide range of bullet weights and designs. The .223 is fine out to about 600 yards and I've seen folks shooting them out to 800 and 900 yards, but the wind knocks them around quite a bit at that yardage.

Components for reloading (bullets and brass) and factory ammo for the .243 can be found just about anywhere. There's nothing wrong with the .270, but it would probably be a little too heavy (caliber wise) for ground hogs, prairie dogs and general plinking.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've posted my love of the .270 on here many times, but this is one time I'll admit it isn't the best option in this instance. Waaaaay to much oomph for the intended purpose. As much as I'd love to see what a ground hog hit at 50 yards from a .270 looks like, I'd say the .243 would give you the most distance, accuracy, and loading options for varminting.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    I just went through this for the same huntings needs. Decided on the 223 because of ammo cost and ammo cost alone.

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    welcome , i see its your first post. where you live is a consideration. if the little critters are in the city limits, an air rifle with lead pellets are fine up to and including coons. in the country, however long your distance for shooting is kinda tells what caliber to get. yotes at 300 yds a 223 is great. possum or coon at 35 yds a 17 hmr is too. a bobcat at 400 yds a 243 AI (thanks yeah, my favorite too) . bear at any distance, 308.

so a little more info is needed. what you already own plays a major factor.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Not Mentioned..

For me, if you are talking VARMINTS, you are talking .22-250 Remington caliber.
    For a lot of years this caliber has been the hands down KING of the varmint loads.

My second choice is the 6MM Remington. Same diameter as the .243 Winchester, with a little more bullet speed..Bill.

Top Bottom