• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    I'm about to start using a powder that is new to me, IMR 8208 XBR. What's a good starting point from those who have expertise with this powder. I only ask because I keep reading it doesn't get tight groups until you push its max. Anyone else having similar results? I will be using 55gr SP bullets out of a 16" 1x7 to start out.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    It's my go to powder anymore in my 223 with 55gr pills and a charge of 24.5 gets me one hole groups. I bought it in 8lbs jug and will buy another once this one is gone!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Works great in 5.56 with 77gr Noslers, and 223AI with 80gr A-Max.

My experience is that it does in fact provide best accuracy at close to max pressure loads...but that those loads are safe.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    It is by far the most accurate powder that I use in my 308 garand....yes better than 4064, varget, or 3031 with a 150gr FMJ...group sizes where 2/3 the size.

Meters VERY well in all my measures...I cant say enough good things about it except that there is not more info or a readily enough available supply.

God bless
    -Shred

SMOKEDIVER36

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Chesterfield IN
    I'm about to start using a powder that is new to me, IMR 8208 XBR. What's a good starting point from those who have expertise with this powder. I only ask because I keep reading it doesn't get tight groups until you push its max. Anyone else having similar results? I will be using 55gr SP bullets out of a 16" 1x7 to start out.

What distance are you shooting 55gr SP? Who made your 16" 1X7 barrel? What are you shooting at and for what purpose?

8208 is one of my three go to powders depending on what is in stock at the end of the season. I am among a group that shoots 10,000+ rounds in competition annually. We do push them a little harder than normal but nothing to the point of primer popping crazy. Bench rest shooting and load testing are not my thing but moa does matter and I will say with the information you have given any problems with group size will not be from the powder.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Ive used a lot of this powder. Its becoming my preferred precision load powder ever more so than Varget. I have not had any problems with having to load it to the "max" to get very nice results. I don't load any of my cartridges to the max. Right now in my Savage Mod11 in 223 my best group load to date using 68gr Hornady HPBT over 21.1gr of 8208XBR.

Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    100" yards is the longest range I have close. I have a wide variety of bullets stocked up. The IMR is a new powder to me and I also just acquired a decent amount of the hornady 55gr SP. Groups are unknown because I have not put any rounds down range yet with the new powder. The barrel has been pretty accurate for me in the 50-150yrd range and is from del-ton, I believe it was their brand though it's been a while.

Top Bottom