Looking for another AR 15: M4 or Lightweight barrel?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Under pressure with two snails
    I'm in the market for another AR 15, and I had pretty much decided on the LE6920MP-B. However, the LT6720-R caught my eye, and now I'm trying to decide between the two.

I've read several different opinions on the M4 profile barrel versus the lightweight barrel. Some people are of the belief that the lightweight would wear down quicker and not be as accurate, while others said the real world differences aren't noticeable, except for the benefit of the weight reduction. I figured I would seek the opinion of the many experts on INGO.

Misc info: I already have an SP6920 with a 2.5-10x scope, so this is going to get a red dot and be used for CQC/SHTF situations and, of course, general fun at the range. Also, the price between the two models is close enough that it is irrelevant.

So, should I stick with the LE6920MP-B, or is the LT6720-R a nice piece?

Thanks in advance :)

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    - Do you want the option to attach a bayonet or grenade launcher?
    - Do you want to be able to use the barrel as a pry-bar? (to open crates, doors, etc.)
    - Do you want it to look like a "real" M4?

If the answer to all of the above questions is "no", the lightweight makes good sense. It has been established (IMHO) that barrel profile has nothing to due with small-group accuracy and the profile of the standard M4 barrel puts the thinnest part under the handguard (where logic seem to say it should be thicker for heatsink purposes.)

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Go with the light-weight profile barrel and you'll never go back to a heavy gun for everyday use.

That seems to be the consensus of those that actually own a LW barrel. Thanks.

- Do you want the option to attach a bayonet or grenade launcher?
    - Do you want to be able to use the barrel as a pry-bar? (to open crates, doors, etc.)
    - Do you want it to look like a "real" M4?

If the answer to all of the above questions is "no", the lightweight makes good sense. It has been established (IMHO) that barrel profile has nothing to due with small-group accuracy and the profile of the standard M4 barrel puts the thinnest part under the handguard (where logic seem to say it should be thicker for heatsink purposes.)

I really just want people on the internet to think I'm cool, and I don't think I'll be able to do that without a tactical pry-bar rifle. (Insert purple for that)

So there aren't any concerns over the longevity/durability of the LW barrel? You guys might be swaying me to the 6720. Thanks again for the input.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have two AR's, both 16" barrels but one is heavy and one is low profile. If you want to save weight, definitely go with a low profile barrel. Both are accurate.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    That seems to be the consensus of those that actually own a LW barrel. Thanks.

I really just want people on the internet to think I'm cool, and I don't think I'll be able to do that without a tactical pry-bar rifle. (Insert purple for that)

So there aren't any concerns over the longevity/durability of the LW barrel? You guys might be swaying me to the 6720. Thanks again for the input.

Keep in mind, I am somewhat a N00B, but I really don't see how (the rest of the barrel being equal) the profile change would affect wear. If I understand the dynamics correctly, the greatest heat build-up should be near the receiver and the profiles are very similar at that point. If anything, I would expect that hanging less weight at the end would help prevent a hot barrel from moving POI as much when it gets hot (and help it cool down faster.)

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Honestly, I didn't expect to see such an overwhelming response in favor of the lightweight barrel. The low profile gas block, freefloating rail, and lightweight barrel of the 6720 make the rifle seem different enough from my SP6920 that I'm really intrigued by the rifle and am starting to lean that way.

TwinTurbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    I went with the 6720. I haven't shot it yet, but I really like the way the rifle feels with the LW barrel.

20121128_103357.jpg

Top Bottom