• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Hello all. Been awhile since I've been around. I'm going to try to rectify that in the near future...

Anyway, I'm helping a female friend of mine shop for guns. Little experience, (all of it with me,) but she definitely wants to get one. She has shot my guns, so she has gotten to play with small and large autos and revolvers.

She doesn't like the revolvers just because of the way they handle and shoot. Can't fault her for that. She doesn't want a teeny tiny pocket pistol either, because she wants something she can shoot comfortably at the range. She's decided on a 9mm, because she liked the handling of both my G26 and my G17, and she did not enjoy the recoil of my .45.

She didn't like the grip width of the Glocks however. So what I am looking for now is a single stack 9mm auto. Also, being a young college student, she only has about $500 or less for this purchase. Currently my options are:

Taurus 709
    Ruger LC9

These are really the only two still-in-production slim 9's that I can think of. Anybody else have any ideas?

--------------

Also, I'm thinking of getting a Taurus 605 for myself. Beats the carp out of a .380 as a BUG. Any thoughts on the 605/650/651 decision?

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    Id take her to a local shop and let her hold as many as possible until she finds one she cant put down, thats how the wife picked out her latest.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'll keep an eye out for Sigs, but her budget is very firm, so it would have to be used, definitely. And we definitely intend to take a trip to the local shop, as well. Thanks for the input. :)

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    what .45 did she shoot? My wife was "afraid" of my government 1911 because it's a "big gun", but after shooting she didn't mind it.

as for the 709, mine has been reliable but the trigger really does suck. it's like an extra long, mushy glock trigger.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    Would a S&W M&P 9c with the small grip insert be too wide? There have been several online that were unused trade ins by a police department for about $420.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    SP2022, or Maybe look into a 1911 9mm, the Rock Island 9mm. Both can be had under 500. I love the SP2022. I would recommend it to anyone, especially entry level.

Jdalton765

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Muncie, Indiana
    Have her hold a M&P9c, my girlfriend hates all pistols, "Minus any pink one for looks" but after holding my M&P she said she would carry it, felt good in her hand with the small back strap.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If she did not like the recoil of a .45, then she would not be a fan of the PF9. There's a new Bersa out that looks promising, but it is also a smaller poly 9 and may have the same recoil issue as the PF9. I'll join the chorus of those that say take her to a well equipped gun store to see what fits. Just bear in mind that the lighter the pistol, the more the felt recoil.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    She understands the physics behind guns, and the smaller isn't always better argument; she's an engineering student, so she's got that part down. She's also a black belt, so she has plenty of arm and hand strength from all that martial arts training, so recoil and operation is not something we have to totally avoid, although she really didn't enjoy the recoil of my Taurus 24/7 in .45.

I've thought of a PF9/P11, but I wasn't sure about the recoil on them, and I've never owned a KelTec, so I'm leery of recommending them. My aunt owns a Millenium in .40 that we could probably borrow for her to shoot, and see if she likes that, and I have a friend that owns a 709 that I could probably get as well. As for the M&Ps, I don't know how they would fit her, and I've never personally used one.

We already intended to make a gun-store run, I just wanted to get a wider pool of candidates from you guys.

Thanks!

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The KelTecs you mention are "not fun" to shoot, and therefore are not range guns. You'll be rolling the dice on Taurus.

You can get a NIB Kahr CW9 in the $380 range, the smaller CM9 for $420. I suggest you find a LGS where she can check them out. Ruger has a couple worth looking at, too.

As an engineer she may appreciate some of the S&W 3Gs, See if somebody has a 3913 or 3914 she can hande. Of course, there is always a G26. Keep us posted.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Hello all. Been awhile since I've been around. I'm going to try to rectify that in the near future...

Anyway, I'm helping a female friend of mine shop for guns. Little experience, (all of it with me,) but she definitely wants to get one. She has shot my guns, so she has gotten to play with small and large autos and revolvers.

She doesn't like the revolvers just because of the way they handle and shoot. Can't fault her for that. She doesn't want a teeny tiny pocket pistol either, because she wants something she can shoot comfortably at the range. She's decided on a 9mm, because she liked the handling of both my G26 and my G17, and she did not enjoy the recoil of my .45.

She didn't like the grip width of the Glocks however. So what I am looking for now is a single stack 9mm auto. Also, being a young college student, she only has about $500 or less for this purchase. Currently my options are:

Taurus 709
    Ruger LC9

These are really the only two still-in-production slim 9's that I can think of. Anybody else have any ideas?

--------------

Also, I'm thinking of getting a Taurus 605 for myself. Beats the carp out of a .380 as a BUG. Any thoughts on the 605/650/651 decision?

Kahr CM 9
    Springfield XD Sub Compact
    Kel Tec PF9
    Ruger SR9C

Call for an appointment. We have them all in stock and will sit down with her one on one (or with you) and get her exactly what she needs and wants with no pressure, and nobody waiting in line behind her!

Top Bottom